Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter

    Ok I need to get my UCAS application in for January 15th, but I don't start college until January 18th. I'm a mature student (aged 36) and have been a stay-at-home mum for the last 8 years. What am I going to do? Can I ask my Church minister to give me a reference? Would that be sufficient? Arrrghhhhh! I don't know what to do!

    I have a friend at uni who is a mature student, and she had someone from church as her reference :-) It's different when you're a mature student, and they tend to focus more on other aspects of life than just academic achievements (though, of course, academics still play a part).

    As long as you are happy with this person writing your reference then it should be fine, make sure you have a bit of input on anything you particularly want said. Good luck!
    • PS Reviewer

    Your church minister could provide a reference. Another option is if you have done anything with your children, such as helped at after school clubs, they may be able to provide a reference instead.
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to uni

    All the essentials

    The adventure begins mug

    Student life: what to expect

    What it's really like going to uni

    Graduates celebrate

    How to write a good personal statement

    Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

    Uni match

    Uni match

    Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

    Two students working together

    A-Z of universities

    Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

    A student working on a computer

    Personal statement help

    Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

    Hands typing

    Degrees without fees

    Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

    A student looking down a microscope

    Planning open days

    Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

    Help out other students

    These questions still need an answer

    Groups associated with this forum:

    View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.