Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSRBC -- January '11 Watch

• View Poll Results: What book do you want TSR to read?
    24.44%
    The Book Thief
    17.78%
    A Case of Exploding Mangoes
    4.44%
    The Handmaid's Tale
    2.22%
    Heart of Darkness
    33.33%
    To The Lighthouse
    4.44%
    Villette
    2.22%
    A Thousand Splendid Suns
    8.89%
    The Killing Jar
    0%
    The Pillowman
    2.22%

ReputationRep:
    :w00t:

Welcome! We have a group! And a shiny, new, official thread! And nominations! Everyone should post in this one.

Firstly, everybody should join the group. "This group has 1 members." is both sad and grammatically annoying.

Secondly, I've attached a poll with the ten nominations and I've attached the spoiler below with some information about the books. If there is a clear winner early on, then I might just designate that the winner thus giving you guys more time to buy/get the book. Either way I'll give the voting a couple days until the 28th. If there's a draw, there must be a gladiator show-down between whoever nominated them we'll toss a coin[s].

Format basically is that we'll have the month of January to read the chosen book. Halfway through January, nominations will begin for the next month and the whole process will, hopefully and triumphantly, begin again.

Spoiler:
    Show
    1984 [George Orwell] by lonely14 and Larriant
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Dystopian -- Winston Smith works for the Ministry of Truth in London, chief city of Airstrip One. Big Brother stares out from every poster, the Thought Police uncover every act of betrayal. When Winston finds love with Julia, he discovers that life does not have to be dull and deadening, and awakens to new possibilities. Despite the police helicopters that hover and circle overhead, Winston and Julia begin to question the Party; they are drawn towards conspiracy. Yet Big Brother will not tolerate dissent – even in the mind. For those with original thoughts they invented Room 101...

Nineteen Eighty-Four is George Orwell’s terrifying vision of a totalitarian future in which everything and everyone is slave to a tyrannical regime."

The Book Thief [Markus Zusack] by SpiritedAway
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Historical -- The book's narrator is nothing less than Death itself, regaling us with a remarkable tale of book burnings, treachery and theft.

Nine-year-old Liesel lives with her foster family on Himmel Street during the dark days of the Third Reich. Her Communist parents have been transported to a concentration camp, and during the funeral for her brother, she manages to steal a macabre book: it is, in fact, a gravediggers’ instruction manual. This is the first of many books which will pass through her hands as the carnage of the Second World War begins to hungrily claim lives. Both Liesel and her fellow inhabitants of Himmel Street will find themselves changed by both words on the printed page and the horrendous events happening around them.

A Case of Exploding Mangoes [Mohammed Hanif] by Potiron
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Dark satire -- The central theme of the book is a fictitious story behind the real life plane crash which killed General Zia, dictator of Pakistan from 1977 to 1988, about which there are many conspiracy theories.

[em. couldn't find a decent "blurb" that didn't ruin anything :erm:]

The Handmaid's Tale [Margaret Atwood] by Spacepirate
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Dystopian -- Atwood presents here a fable of the near future. In the Republic of Gilead, formerly the United States, far-right Schlafly/Falwell-type ideals have been carried to extremes in the monotheocratic government. The resulting society is a feminist's nightmare: women are strictly controlled, unable to have jobs or money and assigned to various classes: the chaste, childless Wives; the housekeeping Marthas; and the reproductive Handmaids, who turn their offspring over to the "morally fit" Wives. The tale is told by Offred (read: "of Fred"), a Handmaid who recalls the past and tells how the chilling society came to be.

Heart of Darkness [Joseph Conrad] by BookWormShanti
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Literary Novella -- The story tells of Charles Marlow, an Englishman who took a foreign assignment from a Belgian trading company as a ferry-boat captain in Africa. Heart of Darkness exposes the dark side of European colonization while exploring the three levels of darkness that the protagonist, Marlow, encounters: the darkness of the Congo wilderness, the darkness of the Europeans' cruel treatment of the natives, and the unfathomable darkness within every human being for committing heinous acts of evil.

To The Lighthouse [Virginia Woolf] by BookWormShanti
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Literary -- In three parts, it tells the story of the Ramsay family before and after the First World War. We read about childhood, marriage, loss and death, grief and love, but also about British society and patriarchal family values during the transition from Victorianism to the Modern times. With her usual gift of understanding and reflecting people's thoughts and feelings, fears and longings, griefs and joys, Virginia Woolf steps into the background and leaves it to the characters' reflections to tell the story of their life in an astonishing and beautifully lyrical way.

Villette [Charlotte Bronte] by Festina Lente
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Literary -- With neither friends nor family, Lucy Snowe sets sail from England to find employment in a girls' boarding school in the small town of Villette. There she struggles to retain her self-possession in the face of unruly pupils, an initially suspicious headmaster and her own complex feelings, first for the school's English doctor and then for the dictatorial professor Paul Emmanuel. Drawing on her own deeply unhappy experiences as a governess in Brussels, Charlotte Brontë's last and most autobiographical novel is a powerfully moving study of isolation and the pain of unrequited love, narrated by a heroine determined to preserve an independent spirit in the face of adverse circumstances.

A Thousand Splendid Suns [Khaled Hosseini] by missbanana21
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Contemporary -- Set against a backdrop of conflicts in Afghanistan, Khaled Hosseini's second novel 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' is essentially the tale of two women, Mariam and the younger Laila. The blurb tells us that it concerns the friendship, 'as strong as the ties between mother and daughter', that develops between them. It is a while, however, before this friendship starts, and there is a great deal of pain and hardship both before and after its beginning.

The Killing Jar [Nicola Monaghan] by paddy_power
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Contemporary -- It tells the story of Kerrie Ann Hill, a young girl growing up on a drug-ridden housing estate in Nottingham. Kerrie Ann meets an elderly neighbour when she's young, Mrs Ivanovich, an entomologist who teaches Kerrie about life, death, the Amazon rainforest and the miniature, alien world of insects. "Kez" struggles to look after her brother Jon, and hold things together as she's brought up by her junkie mum, Sue, and later, living with her boyfriend Mark as he becomes more and more involved with heroin and crack cocaine.

The book explores themes of metamorphosis, the highs and lows of drugs, and how people become trapped by poisoned environments, and what it takes to escape them.

The Pillowman [Martin McDonagh] by paddy_power
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Black Comedic Play -- Katurian, a writer in a totalitarian state is interrogated about the gruesome content of his short stories and their similarities to a number of child-murders that are happening in his town. McDonagh is more than just a very clever theatrical stylist. His tricks and turns have a purpose. They are bridges over a deep pit of sympathy and sorrow, illuminated by a tragic vision of stunted and frustrated lives.

[If anyone has better blurbs, then feel free to contact me and I'll change it. Some of the more recent/unknown books are a bit empty]

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for doing this. Really looking forward to it.

ReputationRep:
    Results hidden :O but i wanna know which is winning

ReputationRep:
    oh **** ****.

i pressed ze wrong button

EDIT: right, i need to grovel and beg to some mod to see if it can be changed after i go christmas food shopping ... fml.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)
    oh **** ****.

i pressed ze wrong button
    YES!
    Looking forward to this! :dance:

ReputationRep:
    I actually can't wait to find out which book won. Although getting through the snow to my library is going to be a pain in the donkey

ReputationRep:
    I reckon 1984 or the Book Thief will win. I voted for neither as I've read them both already. My instinct is 1984 as this seems to be a book everyone wants to read but somehow never gets round to, I studied it for my alevel

ReputationRep:
    I can't choose which book to vote for. I'll come back after a... think.

ReputationRep:
    OMG, why the results are hidden?

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping Heart of Darkness wins. Sounds interesting. Never read any Joseph Conrad before. Apparently it is quite a tough read until you get used to the language.

ReputationRep:
    Can we very quickly open the results. I'm leaving home in a few hours to go back to London, and have a few of those books here but don't want to carry them all! :p:
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I voted The Book Thief as I didn't think I should vote for my own suggestion. I [probably] won't be participating the first month if 1984 wins though.

(Original post by Larriant)
      I'm hoping Heart of Darkness wins. Sounds interesting. Never read any Joseph Conrad before. Apparently it is quite a tough read until you get used to the language.
      Good point, I've always wanted to read it. And it's also £1.99 from here. :ahee:

Guys, I do recommend buying classics from Wordsworth as they're really inexpensive and of great quality as well. If you can't get it online, there should be a bookstore that offers it (in fact the bookstore I go to offers them at an even cheaper price).

Link: http://www.wordsworth-editions.com/
      • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
      normally i would have voted for Villette, cause thats just the kinda book that i read, but this time i decided to change it up and voted for The Book Thief

ReputationRep:
      Joined and voted. Hi all.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
      I can't choose which book to vote for. I'll come back after a... think.
      pst, A Thousand Splendid Suns
      :flute:

ReputationRep:
      :nothing:

we just bought all of tescos. like literally.

RIGHT. now to fix the poll on this thread

EDIT: Minions. I have a task for you. Go find out who the moderator for the book section is...
      • Political Ambassador
      • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by spacepirate-James)
      :nothing:

we just bought all of tescos. like literally.

RIGHT. now to fix the poll on this thread
      I just checked BBC news - I call lies :hmmm:

Seriously, 1984 is in the lead? :lolwut: (Nothing wrong with the book, it's just that I've read it already...)

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by im so academic)
        Seriously, 1984 is in the lead? :lolwut: (Nothing wrong with the book, it's just that I've read it already...)
        I kind of expected it *sigh* I've read it too, so I'm going to wait a while and vote for whichever is likeliest to beat it

Submit reply
      TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2011
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.