Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    As the title states;

mine's usually autobiographies, but I've recently been into the 'true crime' genre, find it quite gripping/interesting.

So, post your favourite genre + why!

ReputationRep:
    I prefer non-fiction over fiction.
    My favourite areas of reading are: modern history, architecture, art, philosophy. I dabble in the odd tragedy. I'm not a frequent reader of non-fiction. I'm focusing on architecture, the Cold War, and modern Ireland as I have applied for architecture and am studying the Cold War and Ireland in A2 History.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Science fiction every time.

I guess I'm just into escapism

ReputationRep:
    Science Fiction mostly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awais590)
    As the title states;

mine's usually autobiographies, but I've recently been into the 'true crime' genre, find it quite gripping/interesting.

So, post your favourite genre + why!

True Crime is best. Oh, and the occasional History, too.

ReputationRep:
    horror, suspense, science fiction
    and I love the stephen king books!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HanO.)
    horror, suspense, science fiction
    and I love the stephen king books!
    You have excellent taste in genre and writer!

i do english with creative writing, and most of my story pieces usually revolve around these. Also like mystery, fantasy (mostly my own made up stuff, none of this vampires and werewolves cr*p) and romance.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    If its fiction then sci fi and sometimes fantasy.

Non Fic I would say philosophy and history

ReputationRep:
    I've no idea how to answer this question ahh. In Germany I got asked to define the genre of Pale Fire (in German). I can't even do it in English! I felt like throwing a Donnie Darko-esque fit.
    So er fiction I suppose? I mean I quite enjoy Science Fiction now and then but just er yknow, general fiction is fine.. I do like tragedies though. If that counts.

ReputationRep:
    I almost always read fiction, and my favourites are generally crime and fantasy. Mixing the two is great and, as embarassing as it is, as much as I hate romance novels, I don't mind a romantic sub-plot, as long as it doesn't kill the real plot.

Yeah, I'm picky.

ReputationRep:
    Sci-fi or fantasy where it's largely about a theme or a culture in that universe rather than an adventure there (eg. not so much Star Wars, as although it's clearly sci-fi, it's just an adventure with laser swords).

ReputationRep:
    I really like modern novels (e.g. Ian McEwan, Jeanette Winterson) a lot of which are postmodern, I suppose, although I'm not a big fan of the somewhat formulaic, edgy, masculine novels by people like Martin Amis- I prefer novels about human emotion really. Also I love 19th century womens writing, and contemporary poetry.

ReputationRep:
    science fiction, thrillers

ReputationRep:
    Anything political/philosophical

ReputationRep:
    Sci fi and history.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.