Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum but I couldn't seem to find a better suited one. I am doing a project on the value and cost of patents to students.

I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on this on this forum. My personal opinion is that generally patents are not all that effective, but especially to students who don't have the financial backing to peruse legal action for infringements.

I love to hear any other opinions though.

regards,

James

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spadez)
    Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum but I couldn't seem to find a better suited one. I am doing a project on the value and cost of patents to students.

I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on this on this forum. My personal opinion is that generally patents are not all that effective, but especially to students who don't have the financial backing to peruse legal action for infringements.

I love to hear any other opinions though.

regards,

James
    I agree with your second point, and disagree with your first point.

For #1 Patents are generally effective; they provide firstly a deterent, as people will not rip off a patented design if they fear an expensive lawsuit, and secondly, the legal protection provided by the patent's regime is extremely robust, subject to the caveat you identified in your second point.

For #2, I couldn't argee more, not just students, but anyone lacking in capital with have difficultly lodging a claim for patent infringement, and also, may even have difficulty with the cost of applying for patents in the first place. There are too many examples to mention of people being unable to patent a design or idea and having it stolen from them and patented by another. I generally find an episode or two of Qi illustrates this point rather nicely.

So, essentially, I think patents are effective, and worthwhile law, but only if you can afford them (remarkably similar to all other aspects of law to be honest)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.