Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've gone to the GP, Chemist, Pharmacist and still nothing has helped.
    For the past 2 months I've been itchy all over my body (mainly limbs, chest, back and neck), I've been told that it's an allergic reaction but, no one can tell me what to. It's really annoying me and I have no idea what to do.
    Please, any one with any sort of similar experience at all or anyone who can reccomend drugs, herbal medicines, creams I am begging you.
    Help me stop this goddam itch!!
    Thank you and Merry Christmas

Anyone at all, seriously it's pissing me off

ReputationRep:
    i suppose youve taken medicine for it?

(Original post by speaksense)
    i suppose youve taken medicine for it?
    Loratidine 10mg, Twice per day and Piriton

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Loratidine 10mg, Twice per day and Piriton
    im not a doctor yet, and you should not take medical advice from the internet, but i would go to another gp, or the hospital, itching for that long can indicate an underlying cause , eg stuff realted to the liver, also maybe you should get medicines that you can apply topically, to the skin.

ive had itching last for a week before, its not nice.

look into creams, you can find things in boots, superdrug etc. they only provide temporary relief though, you need to get to the bottom of it, dont let your gp fob you off with a few tablets.

make sure when you bathe you moisturise properly, dont bathe in too hot water, wear loose clothing, check with your doc about using creams.

(Original post by speaksense)
    im not a doctor yet, and you should not take medical advice from the internet, but i would go to another gp, or the hospital, itching for that long can indicate an underlying cause , eg stuff realted to the liver, also maybe you should get medicines that you can apply topically, to the skin.

ive had itching last for a week before, its not nice.

look into creams, you can find things in boots, superdrug etc. they only provide temporary relief though, you need to get to the bottom of it, dont let your gp fob you off with a few tablets.

make sure when you bathe you moisturise properly, dont bathe in too hot water, wear loose clothing, check with your doc about using creams.
    I think I'll book an appointment with another GP and also call NHS Direct. Only asking for advice because I've been to same GP for this problem twice and he says to keep taking the drugs and that if I keep itching he'll prescribe some steroids or something like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I think I'll book an appointment with another GP and also call NHS Direct. Only asking for advice because I've been to same GP for this problem twice and he says to keep taking the drugs and that if I keep itching he'll prescribe some steroids or something like that.
    i started on steriods after a few days, but for 2 months , sounds a bit more than an allergic reaction.

in the meantime since its xmas, pop into boots looks for creams in there, book an appointment asap with another gp, they should be asking more questions about the start and possible causes rather than just giveing the standard treatment 2 months in,imo, maybe im wrong i dont know.

do you have any idea what triggered it?

ReputationRep:
    Opps, STI alert.

ReputationRep:
    If it's an allergy, it could be oranges (no srsly), half my family have that
    Apparently it's actually quite common, and also a rash.

ReputationRep:
    omg i have had this too! my dad's a doctor (well a surgeon, so i'm not sure how much i trust him) so he's given me anithistamines and steriod cream and tried to find out if i'm allergic to anything but i seriously can't think of anything it could be. might try going to my gp soon. if you find out whats causing it please tell me cos i'm going mad over here. a few times i've woken in the night cos i've been scratching in my sleep and i've scratched so hard it bled

ReputationRep:
    Have you considered that you may be having a reaction to your washing powder? I had this, itching all over my body, and when we switched to the extremely sensitive Fairy one, it all stopped.

Which means my skin is about as sensitive as a newborn baby's skin :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Right, I have had cholinergic urticaria for 2 and a half years so I know what this is like. Yours sound more like chronic urticaria however see here to try and diagnose which urticaria you have.

You need to get your GP to refer you to a dermatologist, the fact you have had it for 2 months and it randomly popped up suggests its more to do with your immune system (which is what i have) and not an allergy, do you have any other atopic conditions? Your dermatologist will do blood tests, dermagraphism test etc to check nothing is up 9/10 there isn't (for me anyway).

Medication, try fexofenadine hydrochloride its the only anti-histamine that works for me however only at 4x the recommended dose. Try printing off some studies and show your gp to try and get him/her to prescribe it for you. Certizine might be beneficial too. If you get really desperate beta-blockers such as propanol can also be beneficial however you can't take these with asthma

Good luck! If you have this for ages I would suggest taking a trip to st thomases in london and seeing Dr Grattan which is the only clinic in the country that can deal with urticaria effectively however I doubt it will come to that stage!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 25, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.