Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Message to Guitarists.. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Right I've been playing guitar a while now but enver really sat down to 'learn' it, rather I just mess about learning odds and ends of songs I like etc. I really want to learn some music theory and more of that area and basically just gain a better understanding of music and I'm looking for someone to help me with it over MSN or something.

The main thing I'd be looking to learn is Time Signatures etc. and how they are used, and look at some of the songs I like and see what are used in those etc.

If anyone could help, please PM me.

ReputationRep:
    Have you considered doing Grades? Buy a few revision books and practice each Grade weekly. Then at the end of the year, sit down in a local hall and take the exam. Books are the cheapest method as I doubt that someone will teach you for free over the internet, but give it a try anyway!

ReputationRep:
    Go on youtube. Some videos are great to help you start out. Then, when you get good, you can just search tabs on 911tabs.com

ReputationRep:
    http://www.justinguitar.com/
    I would suggest this site, this guy pretty much has devoted his life to teaching guitarists across the world through his *really* easy to understand videos. The videos range from how to hold your guitar to lord knows what might be needed as a lead or rhythm guitarist. There's also a forum (if it's still active) through which you can ask him questions directly.

On top of that, he sometimes takes suggestions from people of what songs to tab and teach.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a guitarist but have never really learned music theory.

I'd recommend learning how to read Guitar tablature (quite easy) and then trying to play some simple songs. Guitar tabs can be found on http://www.ultimate-guitar.com

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.