Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Paranoia/being controlling is ruining my relationship Watch

I cant help it. I was in a long term relationship with my ex, and we were like in our own little bubble. If either of us got a text we would tell eachother who it was from and what it was about. If someone texted me she would look round and look at my phone screen.
    We broke up as it just ran its course. Im in a new relationship now and its much more healthy, only my old behaviour and habits are still there...

If my gf gets a text, i ask straight away who it is. particularly if she reads it and laughs, or if she gets several texts. It drives her mad and she hates me when i do it. How can i stop doing this? If she goes to the pub with friends, her and her friends might meet some guys or something, and i just get paranoid she will cheat, even though she just has a harmless conversation.
    She told me she was talking to a 23 year old guy last night, but as a group including her brother and her cousins. The guy supposedly told her brother that he thinks my gf is fit. She told me about this and i kicked off because she seemed really happy that some guy told her shes fit. But the guy has a girlfriend and a child as well :/ and my gf has never cheated in her life, so its just me being paranoid again.

I feel like im destroying my relationship and if i cant change ill never be able to keep a girl.

ReputationRep:
    Do you go out and chat to girls harmlessly? I'm guessing yes...

This is the same in reverse..chill out. Just because someone finds your woman attractive does not mean they're shagging. I'd take it as a compliment :top:

(Original post by A_master)
    Do you go out and chat to girls harmlessly? I'm guessing yes...

This is the same in reverse..chill out. Just because someone finds your woman attractive does not mean they're shagging. I'd take it as a compliment :top:
    Yes and i know i'd never cheat. Its just like there is something in my head which wont allow me to think rationally

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Yes and i know i'd never cheat. Its just like there is something in my head which wont allow me to think rationally
    You just have to keep telling yourself it's alright. My ex was like this, she would never give me a moments rest... in fact it got to the point where she banned me from seeing female friends of mine. After that it was downhill all the way.

Yea i dont want to be some psycho stalker, i feel so annoyed that im ruining everything i think she will dump me soon tbh. Talk about the worst time of year as well

Anyone else have any advice?

bump

ReputationRep:
    I saw the title and hoped it was my girlfriend, and maybe, maybe, we can work this out.

But you're not.

great help

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 24, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.