Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    ok I've been on a low carb diet for about 6months and lost alot of weight and gone from a 42cm waist to a 32, im now at a point where i want to eat things like potatoes cakes rice and other carb stuff which i havent for 6months.

if i start going to the gym and running/biking can i start eating carbs again? thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JesusRevived)
    ok I've been on a low carb diet for about 6months and lost alot of weight and gone from a 42cm waist to a 32, im now at a point where i want to eat things like potatoes cakes rice and other carb stuff which i havent for 6months.

if i start going to the gym and running/biking can i start eating carbs again? thanks
    i've spent a lot of time researching low carb diets for myself, so the answer in plain absolute terms is no, you might gain back some initial weight as carbs absorb a lot of water and will make you heavier but that is just water, continue exercising

however do eat in moderation and remember why you went low carb in the first place

big big NOTE- if on low carb you ended up wrecking your insulin system or metabolism you may find yourself putting on tremendous amounts of weight but this is very rare.

happy carb eating, just eat them complex and un refined

ReputationRep:
    no, you've got a carbs banhammer for life

32 cm waist? lolwut

your diet sounds a mess tbh OP

ReputationRep:
    i was following the atkins diet but didnt really stick to it most days (not in a bad way) sometimes i had less then 10g of carbs per day

i really wanna start eating carbs again =[

ReputationRep:
    From a common sense point of view (rather than medical or anything)
    surely up your daily carbs progressively and see what happens with your weight - so maybe for next week try 20, then 30, then 40 etc and see where the balance lies for weight gain/acceptable diet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vozhak)
    big big NOTE- if on low carb you ended up wrecking your insulin system or metabolism you may find yourself putting on tremendous amounts of weight but this is very rare.
    Where on earth did you read that? Low carb diets are a great way of reversing insulin resistance. As for 'wrecking your metabolism' again, very questionable.

(Original post by JesusRevived)

Whether you're aware of it or not by going on a low carb diet you significantly cut your calorific intake and that was the driving force behind your weight loss. If you want to start eating more carbohydrates without gaining large amounts of weight you've got to exhibit moderation and/or balance out what you eat with plenty of exercise.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 28, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.