Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much money do I need to buy a car? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I mean, to buy a car, get it insured and basic things like road tax etc. How much would I need to pay to pay upfront and for the first month of all of this and thereafter? I have about £1500 to spend towards this at the mo, plus a part time job. It would have to be a cheap car obvz.

In short, with £1500 can I get on the road?

ReputationRep:
    that 1500 might not cover insurance alone

ReputationRep:
    You'll need approx:
    £1500 for insurance
    £1000 for a cheap car
    £500 maintenance (roadtax, petrol etc)

ReputationRep:
    Total cost of getting on the road= cost of car+ insurance + road tax + petrol ( the tank might be empty when you buy it). You'll need to be able to maintain it too.

ReputationRep:
    How old are you? Are you male or female?

ReputationRep:
    My car cost that alone =/ It's an expensive thing, you'd have to get an old banger haha. Its about £150 for both road tax and MOT depending on what car you have and whether you get 6 months road tax or 12. You'd be able to get your insurance with that, if your paying monthly and you'll have to put a deposit down.

ReputationRep:
    If you're male, £1500 will get you nowhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Disco)
    that 1500 might not cover insurance alone

What if I pay monthly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandys1000)
    How old are you? Are you male or female?
    Female, taking my test next month (and hoping to pass!)

ReputationRep:
    Depends, do you want a real or fake one?

ReputationRep:
    Realistically - if your looking to get a standard, reasonable priced car 1.5k is enough.

HOWEVER, take into account your insurance - young driver looking at least 1.5k on a 1.2/1.4 european make, then your road tax ~£120 for 12 months (min), then MOT annualy ~£40. All that just to get you on the road, then your running costs fuel and general maintenance looking at ~2k on fuel/year (average mileage).

In other words, at least £6-7k in your first year, then around ~£4-5k running and maintence yearly after the first.

My advice is get the the if your REALLY have to and when you know you can afford to do so. I kind of regret owning a car, but thats purely fininacial - otherwise its great!

ReputationRep:
    Female makes it bit easier, car will set you back anywehre between £1k-2k depending on the car you get, insurance £1k-1.5k put as big as excess as you can and argue with them stating your a female, and dont have the impulse of "stupid" boys to go road rage, argue that point on the phone and you'll get a good deal. Petrol depends on howmuch you drive it, and as for tax disks and mot, few hundred there.

Btw, males are not stupid, and ofc we are the better drivers but in this case us males will let you call us stupid to save some money haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sizzzla112)
    Female, taking my test next month (and hoping to pass!)
    insurance is quite a bit and they wont let you set up a monthly payment till your 18 either so you will be looking at up to £2000 in insurance alone, depending on your car and area. be smart about your car though- it costs the same to insure me (a girl) in a 2 ltr diesel peugeot 306 as it does in a 1.2 punto, so watch out for that, check the insurance groups on parkers to give yourself a rough idea- the lower the better, something like a 1.0 ford KA of the correct spec will be insurance group 1 but may be expensive to buy. its hard.

best thing to do would be to set a buget to buy the car in auto trader and ebay within a certain distance (usually about 20-30 miles) then get a load of insurance quotes through a price website and find the best balance but remember to budget at least £200 for any maintainance (make sure the owner of the car is willing to put it through the MOT if it needs one- it may not pass if they are not willing to)

ReputationRep:
    I'm wondering the same thing OP. However, I possibly have the slight advantage of getting a car when I'm 22, and my insurance will be cheaper than usual because I'll be a student teacher.

Anyway... UP FRONT costs would be car, insurance, road tax, and MOT. You can pay for the insurance monthly though... so I'm not sure if you count that as "up front". My sister bought a car for £300 when she was 17 and had about £900 insurance on it... so its doable, if you're happy to drive a banger (my sisters car lasted until she was 21, and it was still running, but she crashed and wrote it off).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by linkdapink)
    I'm wondering the same thing OP. However, I possibly have the slight advantage of getting a car when I'm 22, and my insurance will be cheaper than usual because I'll be a student teacher.

Anyway... UP FRONT costs would be car, insurance, road tax, and MOT. You can pay for the insurance monthly though... so I'm not sure if you count that as "up front". My sister bought a car for £300 when she was 17 and had about £900 insurance on it... so its doable, if you're happy to drive a banger (my sisters car lasted until she was 21, and it was still running, but she crashed and wrote it off).
    Thank you for the help , I just need some metal on wheels that'll get me from A to B!

ReputationRep:
    Nope :P

Think of the driving lessons, roughly £400. Followed by the test, £200?

Then the Car about £1000 for a car pre 2000's. £1500-2000 for insurance. £40-50 every 2 weeks on fuel. Road Tax somewhere in the £100 region.

It'll initally cost you £3200-£3700 to get on the road (not including fuel) Fuel could cost an additional £1040.

So £4240-4740 for running the car for 1 year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sizzzla112)
    I mean, to buy a car, get it insured and basic things like road tax etc. How much would I need to pay to pay upfront and for the first month of all of this and thereafter? I have about £1500 to spend towards this at the mo, plus a part time job. It would have to be a cheap car obvz.

In short, with £1500 can I get on the road?
    The amount you will have to spend entirely depends on what car you get and how much it costs/insurance (which can vary a lot depending on what car you are trying to insure, other named drivers, level of cover, insurance company etc), road tax varies between cars so you will have to look to see how much different cars cost to tax (plus some cars if you buy them privately may have a few months tax left).
    I suggest you have a look around for cars, get quotes from insurance companies and look how much road tax is for cars your interested in.

ReputationRep:
    At least 2-3 grand, insurance could be more than 1500....

ReputationRep:
    Someone needs to educate me when it comes to Insurance. Is it cheaper to be insured on your parents car? If so, would it be cheaper for your parents to insure a new car and then put your name on it?

ReputationRep:
    As said, it will be the insurance sadly that will kill it all.

You can buy a tatty working car for £250 with a few months tax but you wont get insurance for that much till your 25 with tn years ncb!

My car was £1200 which got me a seriously tidy 10yo 306 petrol and its only cost me £300 once for disks an pads in two years as i do my own servicing but insurence (23, male, 3years ncb) is £600 and i pour about £2k worth of fuel into it a year as well.

Daniel

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.