Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

8800GT,- how does it match up? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've not really had much time to stay up to date with current hardware, or even buy anything new for my desktop.
    I really don't have the time to go around searching right now, and would appreciate if anyone who was "current" and not a year behind like myself, would enlighten me how out of date the card is now?

I know this thing is so 2006/07 but in my desktop for day to day tasks running Windows 7 it's no hog.

How does it fare against today's competition?

(off the top of my head)
    Memory: 1024MB

Is it worth me investing in a new card?

ReputationRep:
    It's a very ancient card when compared to today's standards.

It is definitely worth upgrading to at least an Nvidia 460 or the ATi 6 series, but it depends on your current set up. For example your processor might become a bottleneck...

If you can list the entire spec of your rig then it would help allow us to assess it and provide a better answer...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IcEmAn911)
    It's a very ancient card when compared to today's standards.

It is definitely worth upgrading to at least an Nvidia 460 or the ATi 6 series, but it depends on your current set up. For example your processor might become a bottleneck...

If you can list the entire spec of your rig then it would help allow us to assess it and provide a better answer...
    Sorry it's the 8800GT, I wrote 7 by mistake, I knew something didn't quite add up when I wrote it.

Right:

Memory: 4GB Speed: PC2-5300 MB/sec
    CPU: Socket 775 ( I think) Core 2 Quad Q6600, operating up to 2.4Ghz

So it's the 8800GT, 1GB ddr3, Pci-express.

Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    hold up.... I just refreshed this page and the 7800GT changed to 8800GT? Also there was some stuff about the card being SLI capable at the end.....

nevermind, ^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ?!master?!mini?!)
    hold up.... I just refreshed this page and the 7800GT changed to 8800GT? Also there was some stuff about the card being SLI capable at the end.....

nevermind, ^^
    Nono I know, I wrote 7800 by mistake D:
    My card is SLI capable, still.
    (See above)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super.teve)
    Nono I know, I wrote 7800 by mistake D:
    My card is SLI capable, still.
    (See above)
    i was on google looking at the 7800 GT, came back and saw 8800 GT and i was like wtf....

but nevermind.

Is there even a need for a new graphics card?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ?!master?!mini?!)
    i was on google looking at the 7800 GT, came back and saw 8800 GT and i was like wtf....

but nevermind.

Is there even a need for a new graphics card?
    Ah I know, I was thinking myself, hang on I know I had a 7000 lying around, but I replaced that with an 8800GT,
    I'm not sure what current cards are like, I don't keep up to date with this stuff anymore and i'm not sure if this card is going to be current for much longer,- or even now.

I'm always using my laptop, but I did like to keep my desktop up to date, as I will be taking it to Uni with me.

ReputationRep:
    The 8800GT is still old, but graphics requirements for modern games haven't evolved much within this graphics generation.

If you were buying new, it wouldn't be the best value card by a long shot, but it should still be, well, ok with most games.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)
    The 8800GT is still old, but graphics requirements for modern games haven't evolved much within this graphics generation.

If you were buying new, it wouldn't be the best value card by a long shot, but it should still be, well, ok with most games.
    Hmmm, I don't use my computer for gaming anymore either,- no time. Plus, Command and Conquer is dead too.
    So, do you think I should leave it for a few years until I upgrade most of it?

ReputationRep:
    BUMP?

ReputationRep:
    It could handle Crysis respectably back in its hayday, and games haven't moved on much since. There shouldn't be many games you won't be able to run, although you might have to put up with playing some games on lower settings.

If that bothers you, consider upgrading. If you're comfortable with it, stick with what you have for the time being.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super.teve)
    I've not really had much time to stay up to date with current hardware, or even buy anything new for my desktop.
    I really don't have the time to go around searching right now, and would appreciate if anyone who was "current" and not a year behind like myself, would enlighten me how out of date the card is now?

I know this thing is so 2006/07 but in my desktop for day to day tasks running Windows 7 it's no hog.

How does it fare against today's competition?

(off the top of my head)
    Memory: 1024MB

Is it worth me investing in a new card?
    It is pretty poor and lacks the hardware to do DX 11 unlike the new range of cards.

http://www.overclock.net/ati/597046-...vs-dx-9-a.html
    This shows the improvement due to DX 11.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 26, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.