Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone good with cameras? Which is the better deal? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've been looking for a camera for a while now and after some research on the internet i've narrowed it down to these two cameras.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-DSCW320...3220387&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...DF6ZC0HVAXNSNS

The prices are similar so can anyone tell me which one I should go for, I'm having trouble deciding

The pro's and con's of both would be appreciated. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Buy which ever one is cheapest and spend the money you save on something else. You probably won't notice the difference in casual snappy usage.

Enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    i'd go for the sony one, carl zeiss lenses are amazing - i had one on my n97 phone and it took some awesome pictures, four times optical zoom is all you need unless you want to get really close- but with 14mp there is always room to crop the photo to make it look closer (you can do this unless you want to print it out more then A2 size)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hash007)
    I've been looking for a camera for a while now and after some research on the internet i've narrowed it down to these two cameras.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-DSCW320...3220387&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...DF6ZC0HVAXNSNS

The prices are similar so can anyone tell me which one I should go for, I'm having trouble deciding

The pro's and con's of both would be appreciated. Thanks
    Both seem to be pretty good cameras. The Sony one has more megapixels though, which usually gives you better, clearer pictures, but the Panasonic seems to have some better features. Depends what you would use it for really. If it's just for casual photography then either would give you nearly the same result, and you wouldn't have to worry about what different features the camera has (since you probably won't use them anyway). If you're undecided, it might be worth going into a shop and have a look at them. Usually you'd be able to pick them up and have a closer look etc, and see what you think once you've had a play around with them.

ReputationRep:
    Go with the Panasonic. I really don't like either brand but in this case the Panasonic is built far better than the Sony, which feels cheap and plastic Zeiss and Leica branded lenses mean pretty much nothing - if you care about the lens, buy a Canon Ixus. The Ixus 105 is going for around a hundred quid at the moment if you're interested. The actual image quality between the Lumix and the Sony will be almost identical, but as I've said the Panasonic build quality is far, far better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    Go with the Panasonic. I really don't like either brand but in this case the Panasonic is built far better than the Sony, which feels cheap and plastic Zeiss and Leica branded lenses mean pretty much nothing - if you care about the lens, buy a Canon Ixus. The Ixus 105 is going for around a hundred quid at the moment if you're interested. The actual image quality between the Lumix and the Sony will be almost identical, but as I've said the Panasonic build quality is far, far better.
    It's mainly for use as a family camera and I know nothing about lenses. Probably will get the Panasonic then.

Just seen this - http://www.bestbuy.co.uk/product/100...ical-zoom.aspx

Is this any better?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by draconia_93)
    Both seem to be pretty good cameras. The Sony one has more megapixels though, which usually gives you better, clearer pictures, but the Panasonic seems to have some better features. Depends what you would use it for really. If it's just for casual photography then either would give you nearly the same result, and you wouldn't have to worry about what different features the camera has (since you probably won't use them anyway). If you're undecided, it might be worth going into a shop and have a look at them. Usually you'd be able to pick them up and have a closer look etc, and see what you think once you've had a play around with them.
    I don't agree with the equation "more megapixels=better pictures" because most of the time this is just media hype. The only thing certain to happen with compact cameras -and small sensors- when you pump up the megapixels is more noise and grain at relatively low ISO levels.

Between the two cameras you picked, I would say go for Panasonic. Sony has Zeiss lens, but Panasonic has Leica that has nothing less than Zeiss in terms of quality. Also Panasonic has a slightly smaller amount of megapixels that allow for less noise -I would even go lower, 10 for example on a Fuji EXR. Panasonic has a better optical zoom than Sony (optical zoom is always a parameter to look for, the higher the better).

My take is, leave Sony alone and go for Panasonic which is also better built, by the way...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dshadow)
    I don't agree with the equation "more megapixels=better pictures" because most of the time this is just media hype. The only thing certain to happen with compact cameras -and small sensors- when you pump up the megapixels is more noise and grain at relatively low ISO levels.

Between the two cameras you picked, I would say go for Panasonic. Sony has Zeiss lens, but Panasonic has Leica that has nothing less than Zeiss in terms of quality. Also Panasonic has a slightly smaller amount of megapixels that allow for less noise -I would even go lower, 10 for example on a Fuji EXR. Panasonic has a better optical zoom than Sony (optical zoom is always a parameter to look for, the higher the better).

My take is, leave Sony alone and go for Panasonic which is also better built, by the way...
    Brought the Panasonic in the end, love it! The level of detail is amazing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hash007)
    Brought the Panasonic in the end, love it! The level of detail is amazing
    Well done! If you keep the resolution within 10 MP you will get smaller photos in size, but a lot cleaner in terms of noise, especially in the dark areas

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.