Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it too late to be considering a gap year?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    My predicted grades are ACC - I've been rejected from sussex and am waiting for my rejection from Queen Mary (I know it's going to be an obvious rejection - I can feel it).
    I want to study history and english joint but those are the two A-level subjects I am being predicted a C for. I don't feel I'd worked to my full potential last year in AS - I was having family crisis too. I am an A grade student in english and at least a B in history. I am retaking modules too to improve my grades but that can't change what I've been predicted.

I've received offers from pretty low ranked universitys - Roehampton and St Mary- Sussex have rejected me and I am pretty sure Queen Mary and LSE will too.

I've considered taking a Gap year now and when I get the grades I need (Hopefully AAB) I can reapply and actually organise my self a little better. But I am not sure if it's too late to be considering a gap year.

I feel really worthless at the moment and have no idea what to do

ReputationRep:
    It's never too late to be considering a gap year! Although, you should think about what you're going to do during that year, rather than just taking a year off and totally wasting it.

ReputationRep:
    I read about some gap year programmes abroad - is it too late to apply to one of them.

ReputationRep:
    One thing to consider is that if you take a gap year you'll have to pay at least double tuition fees.

ReputationRep:
    It's not too late. Just go with a program that doesn't make you pay extra registration costs for late or last minute enrollment. If you're actually thinking of going abroad on the gap year, then you can find programs through Leave UR Mark: http://www.leaveurmark.com Good luck it will be an amazing experience!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam08503)
    I've considered taking a Gap year now
    Regarding tuition fees - that is definitely something to consider although the amount it will affect you will depend on your income (ie less wealthy will be covered by bigger grants and so on.

I decided last february to take a gap year and I landed on my feet - I guess it all depends on being able to get a job (in my case) in July/ when you finish school in order to raise money for uni/travelling/ spreeing or just to keep yourself busy.

It can be a lot of fun. I know there are gap year fairs in my area usually around March/ April time - there are loads of stands at these so they are a great way to get ideas / talk to the project company reps face-to-face.

http://ehcourses.inspiringfutures.or...aspx?pageID=25 is the kind of thing I'm talking about although they have helpfully not put any dates in

ReputationRep:
    My predicted grades are ACC - I've been rejected from sussex and am waiting for my rejection from Queen Mary (I know it's going to be an obvious rejection - I can feel it).
    I want to study history and english joint but those are the two A-level subjects I am being predicted a C for. I don't feel I'd worked to my full potential last year in AS - I was having family crisis too. I am an A grade student in english and at least a B in history. I am retaking modules too to improve my grades but that can't change what I've been predicted.

I've received offers from pretty low ranked universitys - Roehampton and St Mary- Sussex have rejected me and I am pretty sure Queen Mary and LSE will too.

I've considered taking a Gap year now and when I get the grades I need (Hopefully AAB) I can reapply and actually organise my self a little better. But I am not sure if it's too late to be considering a gap year.

You'll get used to the feeling of worthlessness. Sign on to the dole, and settle down for a miserable, worthless life. That's what I've done.

ReputationRep:
    Well I decided I would get a job (still working on that one), and do some relevent voluntary work (have at least managed that one) during my gap year. I took one more because I felt I needed a break from all the work but you can decide to take one whenever you want really. I know someone who was in the same position as you and decided to take a gap year. He also wasn't sure what he wanted to do and felt he needed more time to decide though. I do find I'm rather board now though without a job as the voluntary works just not filling enough of my time although I do have a few leads for some more in the new year!

ReputationRep:

I know that I would much prefer to take one year off - and even just try and find some temporary employment than go to a low ranked uni - if I knew that I could have done much better. The only other alternative is to accept the offers from Roehampton and St Mary and then work like mad to get better results (which you have to do anyway even if you want to take the gap year).

Then apply for adjustment and if you exceed the requirements of your offer you can search out some better offers. It is a bit of a long shot and you will have to do your research beforehand to decide which courses would appeal to you. If you cannot find a decent course - then plan b comes into operation: your gap year and reapplying with better grades and an enhanced personal statement. Make sure that you explore new authors, go to some local history sites, museums, plays etc to fill up your personal statement.

The Govt will find ways of making the new fees 'paybackable'- they do want good quality graduates to boost the ecomony. With a bit of effort you will be one of those good quality graduates. Not everyone can achieve As and Bs at A level, but if you can, it will be better to be paying back a higher loan from a higher ranking uni than a lower loan from a lower uni. JMHO anyway.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.