Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Boyfriend cancelled on Christmas eve... Now I'm home alone. Watch

He told me weeks ago his sister was coming back on christmas eve from a different country. anyway. the last time i saw him was last weekend, and we had a really lovely time. since then i have been off uni and have been free most days and we both have been looking forward to seeing eachother more. but he has been working so was too tired or busy to see me. which is fair enough. but some nights he made excuses like "it's too late" and on wednesday he just wanted to sit in and play the xbox. i realised he was just assuming he would see me on thursday, like he usually did when i was at university. but i had made plans to see friends who i hadn't seen in months so he asked if he could see me christmas eve, today. i thought during the day because of his sister, but he insisted he wanted to see me at 7. my family usually go to my aunts on christmas eve, like a tradition. but all my siblings are off to their other half's or friend's. and my parents went alone. i was invited to my friend's aswell, for a christmasy gathering, but i said i couldn't cause i still needed a shower, wrap presents then see the boyf.

he texted me in the afternoon, confirming the time. "7 or so" i spent the whole day looking forward to it. and getting ready for him. i'm groomed to the max, changed my clothes loads to find the perfect outfit, rushed my dinner, wrapped his present, planning what we should do, just looking forward to a lovely relaxing christmas eve with him.
    so yeah i was sitting here til about half 8, expecting him to text that he is on his way, and sorry for being late. checking my phone every two minutes. I know i sound like such a loser. then i got the text, "i'll try and get up to you tomorrow." and i was planning on seeing the family and friends tomorrow cause i gave them up for him tonight.

i just feel so embarrassed tbh. completely let down. i actually blushed when i got the text, i was cringing at myself for getting so pointlessly excited. i just said "that's fine."
    i passed up seeing family and close friends, and now i'm sitting on thestudentroom... and i just saw that he is sitting on facebook, and he texted me again saying he's in the bath... yep.. i feel abit sickened for some weird reason. any words of comfort?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    He told me weeks ago his sister was coming back on christmas eve from a different country. anyway. the last time i saw him was last weekend, and we had a really lovely time. since then i have been off uni and have been free most days and we both have been looking forward to seeing eachother more. but he has been working so was too tired or busy to see me. which is fair enough. but some nights he made excuses like "it's too late" and on wednesday he just wanted to sit in and play the xbox. i realised he was just assuming he would see me on thursday, like he usually did when i was at university. but i had made plans to see friends who i hadn't seen in months so he asked if he could see me christmas eve, today. i thought during the day because of his sister, but he insisted he wanted to see me at 7. my family usually go to my aunts on christmas eve, like a tradition. but all my siblings are off to their other half's or friend's. and my parents went alone. i was invited to my friend's aswell, for a christmasy gathering, but i said i couldn't cause i still needed a shower, wrap presents then see the boyf.

he texted me in the afternoon, confirming the time. "7 or so" i spent the whole day looking forward to it. and getting ready for him. i'm groomed to the max, changed my clothes loads to find the perfect outfit, rushed my dinner, wrapped his present, planning what we should do, just looking forward to a lovely relaxing christmas eve with him.
    so yeah i was sitting here til about half 8, expecting him to text that he is on his way, and sorry for being late. checking my phone every two minutes. I know i sound like such a loser. then i got the text, "i'll try and get up to you tomorrow." and i was planning on seeing the family and friends tomorrow cause i gave them up for him tonight.

i just feel so embarrassed tbh. completely let down. i actually blushed when i got the text, i was cringing at myself for getting so pointlessly excited. i just said "that's fine."
    i passed up seeing family and close friends, and now i'm sitting on thestudentroom... and i just saw that he is sitting on facebook, and he texted me again saying he's in the bath... yep.. i feel abit sickened for some weird reason. any words of comfort?
    I feel for you
    I know how it feels, just know he loves you and he'd be there if he could...i'm sure.

Just smile, know what you have I guess :/

ReputationRep:
    Why not just text him and ask him why he keeps bailing on you?

ReputationRep:
    sucks, call him up and ask whats wrong :confused:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    You're not the only one. My boyfriend just went on an impromtu lad's night out. It's gutting isn't it? Being at home alone on Christmas Eve is pretty depressing. I guess it's early nights for us and hoping tomorrow will be better? (I'm stupidly cooking Christmas dinner for his family, so have put off seeing my family tomorrow for his... can't help but think I'm being taken for a bit of mug here).

ReputationRep:
    Call him and tell him what he's missing out on :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    How is that ok? why did you say 'that's fine'? you should have told him it wasn't fine, if it wasn't :dontknow: x

ReputationRep:
    So am I, downing the rum.

It's all good.
    • TSR Support Team

I would do what someone further up suggested, ask him why he keeps dropping out at the last minute.

ReputationRep:
    So, what exactly is his reason for not coming to see you? He doesn't seem busy because he's Facebooking and sitting in the bath..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ultimate_Geek)
    So am I, downing the rum.

It's all good.
    Classy. :hat2:

ReputationRep:
    Drink:teeth:

ReputationRep:
    I'm home alone also. Boyfriend went to a family thing and I was supposed to join him but it's bloody miles away and I don't have the energy/money to go all the way there and back for a few hours.

I'm going to my parents' house in a bit, going to stay up late watching rubbish DVDs with my siblings, like when we were kids. But I (for some reason) decided to burn them some DVDs of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, cause they have not seen it. And it's taking hours to burn. So here I sit.

ReputationRep:
    Same here. Glens vodka always helps

Tbh, I'd just ask him straight up why he cancelled and I wouldn't have said 'I'm fine'.

Be honest about it

(Original post by IndigoRockGirl)
    How is that ok? why did you say 'that's fine'? you should have told him it wasn't fine, if it wasn't :dontknow: x

(Original post by Hooovan*)
    So, what exactly is his reason for not coming to see you? He doesn't seem busy because he's Facebooking and sitting in the bath..

i don't want to seem like a ***** for not letting him be with his family, seeing as his sister just got home after months. and he has been working non stop, so he's probably just tired out. but tbh, i feel really sickened by this, think im going to go for the 'being distant' and probably won't meet up with him tomorrow. I haven't replied to his other texts.

ReputationRep:
    Aw, I know that exited feeling, and it must be so gutting to be let down like that. I think you should call him instead of text him, and ask whats up.
    And, turn on your tv, get some wine and warm food, wrap up in a fleece and watch a movie. Or have a nice bath/home spa/face masks and soaps, try to make good use of your alone time. You deserve it.

ReputationRep:
    I hate that compulsion to say 'that's fine' when it isn't, I get that a lot...

Don't give up your Christmas for him. Please please please take it from me, it's not a good idea. He can wait another day or two, just text him again and tell him that actually you have plans for tomorrow but what about spending boxing day together. If he won't even rearrange a bath around seeing you, don't you rearrange your whole family christmas, it'll only make you feel worse.

And if he keeps bailing like this, I know you don't want to hear it (and neither do I), but he is so not worth all this trouble.

Here... :hugs:

Enjoy your Christmas x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awais590)
    Classy. :hat2:

I try.

It's the Navy blood in me .

ReputationRep:
    i don't want to seem like a ***** for not letting him be with his family, seeing as his sister just got home after months. and he has been working non stop, so he's probably just tired out. but tbh, i feel really sickened by this, think im going to go for the 'being distant' and probably won't meet up with him tomorrow. I haven't replied to his other texts.
    I'm sorry, but that technique tends never to work with guys, I really think that, although right now you should prbably leave it, in a few days you should tell him how you actually feel x

ReputationRep:
    I would be fuming! Is there no way that you can drive or get to your friends house still? Go out and see your friends if you can! Can't believe he's blown you off when he confirmed the time! Definitely ask him why he's done that?!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 25, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.