Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I have some questions for everyone! I am an American wanting to apply for a PGCE in secondary history for 2011. I realize it is very late in the process, but I was hoping to apply over the Christmas break as this is a last minute decision to apply in the UK and not in the states. I telephoned two unis and they both said they were still considering new applicants after the New Year. So my questions are: I currently volunteer in a history classroom at a state school in Scotland, but I am applying to unis in England. Will that make a difference in my application because Scotland follows a different curriculum? I already have a masters in history from St Andrews Univ and another masters in educational psychology from Columbia Univ in New York, as well as my first degree in history. I have experience working with students in the states as well as supply work. Does anyone imagine if I have a chance of being admitted into a PGCE program for next year since I am an American? And is really too late to apply? I am thinking Institute of Education and York and Bath. Any help would be very much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    I also for forgot to ask if it a huge problem if I do not have any undergraduate modules in specifically English history. Thanks again everybody!

ReputationRep:
    1. It is not too late to apply though places are filling up. So the sooner the better.
    2. When I had my interviews at Oxford, UEA and the Bristol they all required experience within an English classroom. However ring the Universities and ask them. The worst they could say is they arent allowed to tell you.
    3. You need to have a degree in fifty percent History so you should be ok. Though it will be up to the Universities. Bristol for example were fine with me doing very little content in my degree which is also covered by the National Curriculum. So im not sure ewhat other Universities are like.

Good Luck Let me know if you have any other questions

ReputationRep:
    I know quite a few people who got their PGCE places having had no experience in any classroom - least of all an English one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starchild)
    1. It is not too late to apply though places are filling up. So the sooner the better.
    2. When I had my interviews at Oxford, UEA and the Bristol they all required experience within an English classroom. However ring the Universities and ask them. The worst they could say is they arent allowed to tell you.
    3. You need to have a degree in fifty percent History so you should be ok. Though it will be up to the Universities. Bristol for example were fine with me doing very little content in my degree which is also covered by the National Curriculum. So im not sure ewhat other Universities are like.

Good Luck Let me know if you have any other questions
    Thanks starchild for your help! I just don't know where to apply :/ Is it worth applying to Oxford or should I try for some lesser known universities since I am at a disadvantage? I rang the unis and they gave me vague answers about my lack of experience in an English school. Do any Americans even ever do the PGCE since we have to pay such high fees?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zxczxc)
    I know quite a few people who got their PGCE places having had no experience in any classroom - least of all an English one!
    Thanks, that makes me feel so much better Where did you apply?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by erg2117)
    Thanks, that makes me feel so much better Where did you apply?
    I'm currently doing my PGCE at the IoE (Maths).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by erg2117)
    Thanks starchild for your help! I just don't know where to apply :/ Is it worth applying to Oxford or should I try for some lesser known universities since I am at a disadvantage? I rang the unis and they gave me vague answers about my lack of experience in an English school. Do any Americans even ever do the PGCE since we have to pay such high fees?
    One of my friends is applying for a PGCE and she is American. Though the fees are being subsidised from the University. Its up to you where you apply, I dont know about Oxford because they rejected me so Im still actually not sure what they want in their PGCE students. Where are you thinking of applying?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.