The Student Room Group

Stats interpretation - Correlations

Basically, I've got a set of data (2 variables) and I've run a Spearmans rank correlation analysis on them.

This has come up with a Spearmans rank of -0.44 but a two tail P of 0.06.

Does this mean that there is a non-significant (as P>0.05) weak inverse correlation between the two or am I interpreting it incorrectly?

Thanks.
Original post by aphex.twin
Basically, I've got a set of data (2 variables) and I've run a Spearmans rank correlation analysis on them.

This has come up with a Spearmans rank of -0.44 but a two tail P of 0.06.

Does this mean that there is a non-significant (as P>0.05) weak inverse correlation between the two or am I interpreting it incorrectly?

Thanks.

Assuming that you are meant to use a 5% significance level, then yes you are right. (I think. It's been ages since I did this!)
Reply 2
Yeah, I'm going for a 5% significance level.

If the P value is > 0.05 what is the interpretation of the test?

Does it mean that there is no correlation between the two variables? (even though the SRCC is -0.44)

Thanks
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by aphex.twin
Yeah, I'm going for a 5% significance level.

If the P value is > 0.05 what is the interpretation of the test?

Does it mean that there is no correlation between the two variables? (even though the SRCC is -0.44)

Thanks

It means you reject the hypothesis that there is a correlation (i.e. You conclude that there is no significant correlation. You have NOT proven that there isn't correlation; you have just failed to give enough evidence that there is a correlation!)

Think about it this way: Suppose I gave you a coin and told you to flip it 10 times then decide whether or not it's biased. You flip it and record 6 heads and 4 tails.
Would you conclude that the coin is biased based on this? No, because there's not enough evidence. But does this mean for sure that the coin isn't biased? Again no; that's just the best educated guess that you can make with the given information.

So similarly in this question, can you conclude that there is a significant correlation? No, because there is a lack of evidence.
Does this mean for sure that there isn't any correlation? No, that's just the best guess you can make.

Quick Reply

Latest