Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is my Dad wrong? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So, normally I spend around £20 on my Dad at Christmas, usually just get him a tshirt or something from Next and then some Lynx.

This year, as he gives me quite a bit of money, I thought it'd be nice to "spoil" him, or at least show him how much I appreciate all he does for me.

So I brought him The Pacific box set, three cans of Lynx, some The Body Shop face washes and shaving gels and some socks from Next.

I placed them under the tree just, and he ripped them open.

Yet everyone else here is waiting until tomorrow, we've never once opened our presents early, Mother and everyone else is waiting until Christmas.

I know it's pedantic of me, as some people won't even be able to eat on Christmas, let alone send gifts and this is minor compared to that.

But in context, is he in the wrong for doing this? I've gone to my room, i've not shouted or anything as to no spoil Christmas.
    But it's upset me.

(The boxset was rather hard to get hold of too, I went to three HMV's, and all only had the cardboard edition in stock until I managed to find two tin editions)

EDIT: Just went back down, he's grateful etc, so good I guess

Maybe he was just excited? Nothing to get pissy over, he probably really appreciated it.

ReputationRep:
      I would be annoyed that he opened his present early when he wasn't supposed to, but if he appreciates his gift and was grateful for it then it shouldn't be something to get too mad over Have a nice Christmas.

ReputationRep:
      I'd be annoyed too, but like others have said, he's probably just excited. Should do what I've done and just not wrap the presents yet Haha.

ReputationRep:
      Is it really that big of a deal? I mean just see what happens tomorrow. He will probably be all grateful and appreciative etc. It's hardly a big enough issue to get upset on Christmas about.

ReputationRep:
      nothing says "I think you smell horrible" like 3 cans of lynx

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ChaoticSkills)
      nothing says "I think you smell horrible" like 3 cans of lynx
      I had like 20 hair products, 20 cans of Right Guard and loads of shower gel etc along with my Birthday presents, I think they think i'm the smelly one :')

ReputationRep:
      Was he ungrateful or something, or are you just upset he opened them early?
      If it's the latter, it's more of compliment - he can't wait to open what you got him

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Mm_Minty)
      Was he ungrateful or something, or are you just upset he opened them early?
      If it's the latter, it's more of compliment - he can't wait to open what you got him
      I didn't see it like that, it's the latter.
      I didn't hang around to see a reaction, after opening the door to see what he did I was like :O and went upstairs.
      It's okay now, stupid me.
      :')
      Wanted opinions before I reacted tbf

ReputationRep:
      Sweden FTW

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by semiotically)
      Sweden FTW
      lmao ?

ReputationRep:
      It's upset you? Does it really mean so much? :/

ReputationRep:
      In Sweden we open presents on Christmas Eve. (Even though I don't actually live in Sweden, we still follow the family tradition)
      I think most of the Nordic countries do it, and Germany I believe.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Firaila)
      It's upset you? Does it really mean so much? :/
      I'm not crying, it's just...supposed to be Christmas LMAO D:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Helsy)
      In Sweden we open presents on Christmas Eve. (Even though I don't actually live in Sweden, we still follow the family tradition)
      I think most of the Nordic countries do it, and Germany I believe.
      In Germany they get that guy to beat people too right? The good guy and the bad guy and they go to house's and hit kids?

My German friend was telling us, it's become the joke of every Politics lesson we have, as it's on the EU

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by super.teve)
      I'm not crying, it's just...supposed to be Christmas LMAO D:
      Fair enough

Just thought there are bigger things to worry about

ReputationRep:
      Well, I know nothing of that. But tbh I highly doubt it as I don't think people would be too happy about it. Could it just have been a one off event???

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Helsy)
      Well, I know nothing of that. But tbh I highly doubt it as I don't think people would be too happy about it. Could it just have been a one off event???
      We had photos of it and all sorts up in lesson, looks so scary!
      She's so cute and she's like "noooo, it wasn't nasty, it was fun", ahaha :')

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by super.teve)
      lmao ?
      open prezzies on 24th

ReputationRep:
      I'm sure he was just too excited, I think that's quite sweet actually :lol:

But yes, I'd tell him off.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 25, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.