Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone

The other week my laptop picked up a virus which has stopped me browsing the internet (I can still connect to it, and other programmes using the internet are still able to function) but firefox and IE wont work. If I disable the firewall it works again, but when I go to manage the firewall permissions, it says firefox and IE both have full access, there is only 1 program that is blocked and it was since I downloaded it that the internet stopped working, so I'm guessing that is the root of the problem.

I've located exactly which file is causing the but it is in the system 32 folder and wont let me delete it as it keeps saying I don't have permission even though I am the admin. I changed the system 32 folder from read only but still no luck, anybody got any ideas how I can delete this file please?

If it's easier, I would like to just wipe the whole laptop, but I don't have a recovery disk/windows cd's n'or do I have time to buy one (Im going abroad on the 27th) so any advice on how to wipe it without the discs would be appreciated.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    What made you think the file was in the system32 folder?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HilariousNinja)
    What made you think the file was in the system32 folder?
    Because when I disable my firewall it works again, so it's obviously something that my firewall is blocking that is causing it, and the only thing that my firewall is blocking is a file that was recently downloaded and is now sitting in the system 32 file, I'm pretty sure if I told my firewall to unblock it, it would work again, but if it's a virus I dont really want to do that would rather just delete it or wipe it as I need to sell the laptop

ReputationRep:
    If you're running windows xp, you can install the recover console, boot to that and then you can delete it. Be careful though, as I nearly bricked my computer doing that, it's your shout!

ReputationRep:
    If you can, try going in to system recovery mode. Hopefully, some sort of application will have created a recovery point somewhere

ReputationRep:
    Dont delete system32 files!
    they'll kill windows!

Go to Safe Mode and then delete it.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by cybergrad)
      Go to Safe Mode and then delete it.
      Worked perfectly mate thanks a lot!

Ive been on for hours editing permissions and stuff, wish I'd known it was that simple to begin with lol

ReputationRep:
      May as well delete the whole folder whilst you're at it!

ReputationRep:
      Why didn't you just do an antivirus scan with malwarebytes or something if you think you have a virus...? If you haven't done that still and do have a virus, deleting one file isn't going to make it go away, even if you can access the internet again

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.