Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Mole removal... :( Watch

ReputationRep:
    Arghh.
    Basically, I have a mole which is highly visible on my face. I hate it, I hate my parents for not removing it when I was a baby. I'm 18 now, 2 years ago when I brought up the subject about removing it/them paying for it, they got very defensive, saying you cant remove, its been there since you were born, then they started going on how i was beautiful, and i shouldnt care, blah blah blah. Yeah right :rolleyes:

I have done a bit of research, but i was wondering if anyone has had any experience with mole removal from the face, and also how do I bring it up with my GP, do i just tell her, i want it removeed? Or do i say its because im worried about it etc. You could argue tis for cosmetic reasons, but i've had enough i actually cannot live with it any longer (please dont take the mick), yeah i could just pay £500... (if its going to be done, whats the point if theres a massive scar.. hence why its slightly more expensive) BUT we are in financial difficulty. My parents can't afford it. I can't either. If only I could get a job... but i wont be able to get one till the summer, and even then i HAVE to save for uni, otheriwse i will struggle so badly money-wise.

Woah this is long. Basically, anyone get it done on the NHS? (without it being cancerous as im certain its not)
    Thanks.

(Original post by fudgesticks)
      Arghh.
      Basically, I have a mole which is highly visible on my face. I hate it, I hate my parents for not removing it when I was a baby. I'm 18 now, 2 years ago when I brought up the subject about removing it/them paying for it, they got very defensive, saying you cant remove, its been there since you were born, then they started going on how i was beautiful, and i shouldnt care, blah blah blah. Yeah right :rolleyes:

I have done a bit of research, but i was wondering if anyone has had any experience with mole removal from the face, and also how do I bring it up with my GP, do i just tell her, i want it removeed? Or do i say its because im worried about it etc. You could argue tis for cosmetic reasons, but i've had enough i actually cannot live with it any longer (please dont take the mick), yeah i could just pay £500... (if its going to be done, whats the point if theres a massive scar.. hence why its slightly more expensive) BUT we are in financial difficulty. My parents can't afford it. I can't either. If only I could get a job... but i wont be able to get one till the summer, and even then i HAVE to save for uni, otheriwse i will struggle so badly money-wise.

Woah this is long. Basically, anyone get it done on the NHS? (without it being cancerous as im certain its not)
      Thanks.
      Difficult to on NHS unless it looks dodgy.

Fact is cut it off and you could be left with a much more obvious scar.

ReputationRep:
      I don't think you will be able to get it removed under the NHS unless it's ridiculously big or just not healthy somehow.

Having said that, just be warned that you go to a good place to get it done the first time, because my friend has been a couple of times now... and she said it keeps coming back after a year or so >.>...

I believe she got hers removed abroad however.

ReputationRep:
      You could make the argument that it is affecting your self-esteem. Very occasionally the NHS will pay up for cosmetic procedures in those circumstances.

Or you could just learn to live with it. I have two on my face and I honestly don't give a ****.

Arghh.

Thanks.
        You might well be beautiful with your mole: I knew a girl at school who had a mole on her neck which she had removed, and I always thought it was a bit of a shame.

To be honest, if you don't need to get it removed, don't. Having it removed because you don't want it is merely cosmetic surgery, and the NHS most likely won't pay for it. They paid for me to have two moles removed when I was small, but that's because they were cancerous.

But if you're beautiful, be beautiful, and don't spoil it. Would it be rude to ask to see a picture of your face?

ReputationRep:
        Arghh.

Thanks.

I have had a mole removed from my face. I went to my gp about and they said it couldn't be done by the nhs so they referred me to a private dermatologist. My mole was 'scraped off' rather than 'dug out' so there is no scar as my skin didn't need to be sticthed back together.

I wouldn't recommend getting it done on nhs even if it is possible as they will care a lot less about the cosmetic side of things as it would be for a 'medical reason'. So the result may not look great.

ReputationRep:
        Arghh.

Thanks.
        Hi , i had a mole under my jaw sort of, wasn't to big and near the back of my face so when they removed it there was no problem ,i have a bit of a scar but it is way better then the mole .Does wonders for confidence in my case..

I Done mine on the NHS which got sorted by telling my gp i wanted to remove it he was all cool about it.. I was under the age of 16 at the time so got it done for free so not sure about costs wise.

ReputationRep:
        You have to think about it carefully. You'd be changing something which has helped define you since you were born- like dimples or freckles!
        But if you are adament you don't want it on your face, then talk to your doctor and say that you're worried about it becoming cancerous and see what they say.. otherwise, pay for it. If, as you say, you hate it so much, the cost will be well worth it.

You will be left with a scar- please don't go into it thinking your face will be perfect- but a scar should be fairly easy to cover with makeup providing you get it done by a good surgeon.

ReputationRep:
        get the fox to eat the mole

ReputationRep:
        To be honest I'm not sure whether it's worth it in all cases, I had one removed because they thought it might be cancerous and it's left quite a big scar. Luckily for me it was on my back so it doesn't matter, no one ever sees it. Do you really want a big scar on your face that may be just as visible as the mole you have at the moment. That's always a possible risk of having it removed, that it may scar. Your GP will tell you this if you ask them about it.

Up to you though at the end of the day. No harm in asking your GP about it.

ReputationRep:
        Just bring the subject up with your GP and say you'd like to know what your options are. I had a rather sizable mole removed three years ago now from my stomach.
        The original process was that I was referred to my local hospital and I later changed my mind when they said I could be left with a 5cm scar, a year later I decided to approach my new GP about my mole and he removed it in the surgery a week later and I have a small round scar.

Always worth seeing what options are available to you.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Blueflare)
        You could make the argument that it is affecting your self-esteem. Very occasionally the NHS will pay up for cosmetic procedures in those circumstances.

Or you could just learn to live with it. I have two on my face and I honestly don't give a ****.
        yeah...
        See i wish i couldn't care, but I do. But if it was somewhere else on my face, i wouldnt care, its just where it is, is horrible, and very visible :/ And it's not exactly small either.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Tootles)
        You might well be beautiful with your mole: I knew a girl at school who had a mole on her neck which she had removed, and I always thought it was a bit of a shame.

To be honest, if you don't need to get it removed, don't. Having it removed because you don't want it is merely cosmetic surgery, and the NHS most likely won't pay for it. They paid for me to have two moles removed when I was small, but that's because they were cancerous.

But if you're beautiful, be beautiful, and don't spoil it. Would it be rude to ask to see a picture of your face?
        Thanks for your reply, erm sorry, I'd rather not post a pic :lol: Trust me, it's not beautiful. I have another mole on one cheek, and i don't care about that. Its just this one..

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by LostArtOfMurder)
        I have had a mole removed from my face. I went to my gp about and they said it couldn't be done by the nhs so they referred me to a private dermatologist. My mole was 'scraped off' rather than 'dug out' so there is no scar as my skin didn't need to be sticthed back together.

I wouldn't recommend getting it done on nhs even if it is possible as they will care a lot less about the cosmetic side of things as it would be for a 'medical reason'. So the result may not look great.
        I have considered this. Ahh i don't know what to do....
        Laser mole removal is supposed to be the best way to prevent scarring... but its so expensive and certainly not available on the NHS :/

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Gemma :)!)
        You have to think about it carefully. You'd be changing something which has helped define you since you were born- like dimples or freckles!
        But if you are adament you don't want it on your face, then talk to your doctor and say that you're worried about it becoming cancerous and see what they say.. otherwise, pay for it. If, as you say, you hate it so much, the cost will be well worth it.

You will be left with a scar- please don't go into it thinking your face will be perfect- but a scar should be fairly easy to cover with makeup providing you get it done by a good surgeon.
        Thanks for replying
        I completely get what you're saying, and tbh if i had a (large) scar where the mole is.. I wouldn't do it.
        Laser mole removal is supposed to good for reducing scarring, but obviously incurs more costs.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by fire2burn)
        To be honest I'm not sure whether it's worth it in all cases, I had one removed because they thought it might be cancerous and it's left quite a big scar. Luckily for me it was on my back so it doesn't matter, no one ever sees it. Do you really want a big scar on your face that may be just as visible as the mole you have at the moment. That's always a possible risk of having it removed, that it may scar. Your GP will tell you this if you ask them about it.

Up to you though at the end of the day. No harm in asking your GP about it.
        Yeah, I suppose there's no harm in asking the GP, i supppose im just embarassed that they'll think im vain or something. Different procedures give different amounts of scarring, so i would HAVE to opt for the minimal scar one, but that may not be available on the NHS (laser removal). I guess i'll have to save up... I definitely want it removed before I got to uni!

ReputationRep:
        Arghh.

Thanks.
        An acquaintance of mine had a mole removed from his cheek. Left a huge, deep scar that was pink and stood out even more. I think it was done on NHS. Better to go private. Have you private health insurance? I have a mole on my neck I wish to have removed, but wouldn't dream of demanding my parents to pay for it; that's where I think you are being unreasonable. Also, you GP will laugh you out of the building if you go in demanding it for cosmetic reasons. That said, there are 'loop holes', and GPs are more likely to do something if you say it is crippling your confidence and they'll see it as a mental health thing - mental heath in the sense the lack of confidence is damaging your psychological health.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Jordan1990)
        Just bring the subject up with your GP and say you'd like to know what your options are. I had a rather sizable mole removed three years ago now from my stomach.
        The original process was that I was referred to my local hospital and I later changed my mind when they said I could be left with a 5cm scar, a year later I decided to approach my new GP about my mole and he removed it in the surgery a week later and I have a small round scar.

Always worth seeing what options are available to you.
        Thanks

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by rylit91)
        An acquaintance of mine had a mole removed from his cheek. Left a huge, deep scar that was pink and stood out even more. I think it was done on NHS. Better to go private. Have you private health insurance? I have a mole on my neck I wish to have removed, but wouldn't dream of demanding my parents to pay for it; that's where I think you are being unreasonable. Also, you GP will laugh you out of the building if you go in demanding it for cosmetic reasons. That said, there are 'loop holes', and GPs are more likely to do something if you say it is crippling your confidence and they'll see it as a mental health thing - mental heath in the sense the lack of confidence is damaging your psychological health.
        yeah, thats one thing that worries me about doing it on the NHS. No i dont have private health insurance. Oh of course, i wouldn't just say i dont want it because i dont like it.
        It is definitely damaging me as a person etc. I wont go into it on here, but just going for a walk outside brings me down

ReputationRep:
        yeah, thats one thing that worries me about doing it on the NHS. No i dont have private health insurance. Oh of course, i wouldn't just say i dont want it because i dont like it.
        It is definitely damaging me as a person etc. I wont go into it on here, but just going for a walk outside brings me down
        Unfortunately I genuinely understand what you mean by that last sentence, so I empathise. I have a mole on my neck, although that's the secondary cosmetic problem. I have a huge nose and am determined to have a nose job. £8000! So I know exactly what you mean about walking down the street being a challenge. Others won't know what it's like for us because we can't readily conceal our problems.

Submit reply
      TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2011
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.