The Student Room Group

Could I get whey protein on prescription?

Heya all,

this might be a bit of a stupid question, but could I get whey protein or some kind of weight gaining supplement free on the NHS? I'm 18, 6ft2.75, and only just over 9 stone - quite obviously underweight.

Ooh, and before anyone tells me I need to start exercising, it's precisely because I exercise that I'm in this position. Years of running 6 miles every Saturday along with years of Shotokan Karate, and gym work for the last year or so to be precise. Still being <13% body fat is fun ^__^

Anywho back to the point sorry, do you know if it's possible?

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies :smile:
Reply 1
Whey protein isn't a magical weight gainer, it's main purpose is recovery. Why can't you simply eat more?
Lol no it's not a drug!
Reply 3
Follow a healthy diet for someone your height which is what all the doctors will say.
Reply 4
whey protein is a supplement not a miracle formula

that being said eat more and work out smarter and you should be okay

if you have genetics like my brother though who can eat a whole cow and works out 20 hr/week and is still very skinny you will always be thin but you can be lean and strong.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Heya all,

this might be a bit of a stupid question, but could I get whey protein or some kind of weight gaining supplement free on the NHS? I'm 18, 6ft2.75, and only just over 9 stone - quite obviously underweight.

Ooh, and before anyone tells me I need to start exercising, it's precisely because I exercise that I'm in this position. Years of running 6 miles every Saturday along with years of Shotokan Karate, and gym work for the last year or so to be precise. Still being <13% body fat is fun ^__^

Anywho back to the point sorry, do you know if it's possible?

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies :smile:

It's because you eat like a 9 year old girl that you're in this position... lol
I sincerely hope not. The NHS is designed to help the infirm, not the vain
You ignorant git. This person isn't wanting to look like a model. They just want to be a healthy weight. My body won't absorb protein and, as such I have been disabled and getting weaker by the day for over 3 years. I don't want to look amazing. I want my life back. Don't judge other people so quickly.
Reply 8
Original post by UpTheRabbitHole
I totally agree with Concerned person! I came to this thread genuinely looking for an answer to 15 years of Bulimia. I can't eat more. I only eat healthily. I vomit numerous times a day, every day. Liquid does not seem to bother me (apart from milk). I want to exercise but I am afraid exercise may only enhance the anorexic attributes associated with bulimia. I want to put weight on. I want to exercise and be more healthy. There is no magical medication I can take. I don't want to die this way! The only logical conclusion I can come to is I need to supplement my normal food intake with Whey Protein (or something similar), gain weight, exercise, and try to eat more. I hope exercise will improve my mental health and ultimately forge some new feel-good pathways with my relationship with food. I too want my life back! Is this not what the National Health Service is for? I will book a doctors appointment today. I will figure this out one way or another!

Okay, I'll bite, but really you should've made a different thread rather than necroing an old one.

Anyway, are you getting help from a mental health professional for your bulimia?
Reply 9
Original post by UpTheRabbitHole
I see how that may have been a better option. Commenting or posting is not something I am too familiar with.
In fact, this is the first thread I have ever commented on so please excuse my noobishness.
That said, the original question did not receive a definitive answer and the tone did not help my search for advice.
A genuine question, Google top 3 search result, negative outcome. Ideal this is not.

At this time I am not receiving help. I have sought help in the past and had few meetings with medical professionals some years ago.
I feel I let myself down. I convinced myself I didn't need help and I grew accustomed to the idea Bulimia is who I am.
I thought I would grow out of it eventually but here we are today.

I had a conversation with a lady recently with whom I had spoken to before about my Bulimia. She asked if I had seen anyone yet?
I replied "No, I haven't had time." She pointed out that time is all I have, which made me realise that what I am doing is only reducing the time I have left.

I haven't stopped thinking about it since.

I replied to this thread because it is the third time I have read it in two weeks whilst looking for the same advice.

I know the quick and easy thing is to just go to the doctors, ask for help, and ask this same question.
Further more, I also know it is very important to get a doctors advice before taking any dietary supplements when challenging an eating disorder.

The first step is always the hardest.

I guess this is mine.

The only sorta similar thing I've heard of is meal replacement shakes for people who struggle to eat enough calories, but with an ED you need to physically eat enough. They won't give you a prescription for protein, lol, you need to deal with the source of the issue, ie get help for your ED and whatever it is that caused it in the first place. You can't just throw protein powder at it, that won't fix it.

Quick Reply

Latest