Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

My brother has just opened up an HSBC student account with a £750 overdraft, he doesnt have a PIN number at the minute and so the account is useless (he opened it about 2 months ago apparently but has probably lost the letter with the PIN on) but he was trying to buy something online earlier on Harrods but the card was refused - the balance is £0.00 but he has a £750 overdraft limit as stated earlier. So I was wondering if anyone knew what the problem is? He made a payment on House of Fraser earlier and it was fine, Harrods use the Verify by Visa though and after going through this stage it said the transaction couldnt be completed. The payment seemed to go through fine on House of Fraser though apparently.

I wouldnt usually ask on behalf of him but I dont know who else to ask as the helplines are closed so hes a bit stuck for a few more days, I assume he doesnt want to be with the sales in all the shops now!
    Does anyone have any ideas on whats going on? Does he need money in there or to have used the card in person before? The card is activated too!

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Can he get into his online banking? That should show what funds he has available to him - both the money he has and the money available to him from his overdraft.

If his balance was £0 and he bought something then I'm guessing his overdraft's active, so I don't know why his card would be declined. I'm actually surprised he's been able to use it at all without a PIN, with my RBS debit card I wasn't able to use it until I activated it with the PIN at an ATM. Think I had to do the same with my Co-Operative debit card.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JacksterD)
    Can he get into his online banking? That should show what funds he has available to him - both the money he has and the money available to him from his overdraft.

If his balance was £0 and he bought something then I'm guessing his overdraft's active, so I don't know why his card would be declined. I'm actually surprised he's been able to use it at all without a PIN, with my RBS debit card I wasn't able to use it until I activated it with the PIN at an ATM. Think I had to do the same with my Co-Operative debit card.
    Yeah he can and it shows his balance as £0.00
    The card has been activated, I watched him do it online just and he said he had done it over the phone when he received it.

Although I just used my card to try and purchase the item and the same thing happened so im assuming its a problem with Harrods rather then with the card. I guess he will have to wait and see what happens.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.