Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why is my flat mate weird with me??? What do I do??? Watch

There is a girl in my flat at uni called Rachel, ever since we got to uni I never got the impression she liked me very much, she will be nice one minute and then when we are in a group she will not include me or speak to me. Despite making the effort to be nice to her, she made a comment one day (out of the blue) that I am an easy target.. basically a push over. She makes me feel like a child with the way she speaks to me, and she calls me the 'baby' of the flat because I am 18 and she is 19.. along with 4 others in my flat. When we made christmas dinner she assigned me the job of just getting out the pans. I don't stand up to her enough and I am fed up of the child treatment. She has been trying to get in with people in the flat upstairs and she is a leach to the other girl in my flat Laura, who happens to be on my course. I prefer Laura out of any of my flat mates but she is controlled by Rachel. If Rachel doesn't want Laura to go out with my other flat mate she will keep on at Laura about it, and will tell her she is not going out with him around. Laura said to me that she definitely wants to live with Rachel and Rachels friend, who is always round. I got really upset on the last night that we went out, and told them I want to leave our accomodation.

Rachel writes on everyones facebooks, including Lauras, the girl that is always round our flat, and all the girls upstairs. She never speaks to me during the Christmas break. She did invite me back to go out with them on new years, and she does say to me that they are all my 'friends'. But they don't even know me that well.. Should I just try my best to move away and make more friends on my course when I go back to uni?

P.S on the first few weeks I spend a few nights in my room, instead of going out with them.. I wanted time to myself but she told me I was spending too much time in my room! So from then on I felt like she has never tried to include me, even though I do make the effort!

ReputationRep:
    what nasty person that girl. you should definitely make some more friends in your course.

My question is why didn't you do it earlier??

I have been speaking to some nice girls in my course, but no one seems to have properly got to know each other (yet). I can't go on being around my flat mates if they continue to make me feel excluded, and they are all planning to live with each other (well the girls) so I think it will become awkward if I end up having no one to really live with

ReputationRep:
    as cliché as it sounds, just rise above it, or block it out. not everyone you come across in life is going to want to be your friend. Maybe, for one reason or another, she just doesn't see herself as being compatible with your personality. This doesn't mean to say that there's anything wrong with you, or that it's your fault, but some people are just like that. If she's not being abusive towards you or deliberately trying to make life difficult/uneasy for you then I'd just ignore her and focus on other things. I don't really get along with either of my housemates, they are friends with each other and they never include me in anything, they barely speak to me, I certainly don't go for nights out with them. The feeling is mutual so I don't let it bother me too much. It's sometimes annoying feeling like an outsider in my own house, but I can still see my real friends whenever I want so it's no big loss.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 25, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.