Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Margaret Thatcher was kinder to the poor than Mother Theresa Watch

ReputationRep:
    Unlike giving them handouts, she gave them a work ethic and her government enabled them to get on their bikes and find work. Was Margaret Thatcher more kind to the poor than Mother Theresa?

ReputationRep:
    Directly? No
    Indirectly? Even more no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by irrasya)
    Unlike giving them handouts, she gave them a work ethic and her government enabled them to get on their bikes and find work. Was Margaret Thatcher more kind to the poor than Mother Theresa?
    You are really cool.

Yes, absolutely.

ReputationRep:
      I'm sorry?

ReputationRep:
      You are quite right. :yes:
      • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
      depends on your ideology really. For me its a no. Strange choice of comparison person though.

ReputationRep:
      *******s with a capital B

ReputationRep:
      And Mother Theresa was a bit of a ***** wasn't she? So you know...

ReputationRep:
      agreed

ReputationRep:
      Well I must admit that I never heard of Margaret Thatcher telling others to believe in something she didn’t believe herself.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by irrasya)
      Unlike giving them handouts, she gave them a work ethic and her government enabled them to get on their bikes and find work.
      No it didn't. Unemployment was higher under Mrs Thatchers government than at any time since the Great Depression, and it has never been as high since.

For most of the past decade unemployment has been around 5%, at the worst point in the recent recession it got to 8% and its slightly below that now. To put that into context, for the majority of the 1980s it was around 10-12%. The low point of unemployment under Mrs Thatcher was similar to where it is now.

Now I am not one of those who sees Mrs Thatcher as the incarnation of all evil like some people do, I thought she was a good strong leader who stuck to her principles and did what she thought was best for Britain. But her record on unemployment was terrible, that's the weakest part of her legacy and it left long term scars. So if you want to do a thread praising Mrs Thatcher, don't fight it on this ground.

ReputationRep:
      Three words: right to buy.

ReputationRep:
      Brothers and sisters, please do not rise to the bait. We are all better than that.

ReputationRep:
      The "Right to Buy" was the biggest handout in British history. If you give someone an asset worth £300,000 for £150,000, thats a handout of £150,000.

ReputationRep:
      shut up... just shut up...

ReputationRep:
      She's what we need now.

Instead of giving these ingrates more handouts, we need to give them a work ethic and some pride in themselves so they will actually feel the need to work, instead of walking around with hand outstretched!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by PerigeeApogee)
      Yes, I agree.

Mother Theresa thought that poverty was a virtue, and she worked to actively keep people in poverty.

Her public image as some sort of saint is an absolute farce, and the true story of her work is asbolutely tragic. The woman was, in no uncertain terms, pure evil.
      That's heresy.

ReputationRep:
      Yeah just ask all those who mined during her time in power, they loved her! Really encouraged them to work, oh no, she just made them dependent on hand outs.
      Or look at her right to buy policy oh how the helped the poor, a very small section of the poor, for a small period of time. In fact, as house prices rose by £50,000 from the start to the end of her government maybe, just maybe it didn't help them at all
      Or scrapping free milk how that helped the poor
      Or all the good she did in the NHS

I mean she produced so many unemployed (rates were around 3millions during the mid 80's) she had to try and do some good...

More info on the 'good' the evil women did can be seen here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/4447082.stm

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by wallace32)
      Yeah just ask all those who mined during her time in power, they loved her! Really encouraged them to work, oh no, she just made them dependent on hand outs.
      Or look at her right to buy policy oh how the helped the poor, a very small section of the poor, for a small period of time. In fact, as house prices rose by £50,000 from the start to the end of her government maybe, just maybe it didn't help them at all
      Or scrapping free milk how that helped the poor
      Or all the good she did in the NHS
      I mean she produced so many unemployed (rates were around 3millions during the mid 80's) she had to try and do some good...

More info on the 'good' the evil women did can be seen here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/4447082.stm
      I hear this a lot from those on the left. If you looked at the facts there was a real terms increase in health spending.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 25, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.