Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do I need to give up the drink? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Don't really know where to start here. I've been drinking since I was 13, pretty common growing up in the West of Scotland, so have all my friends. But I have always been the one who is in the worst state by the end of the night not because I can't handle it but because I literally cannot stop drinking until I collapse. I have been in some disgusting states and done some disgusting things, I've hurt people (mainly emotionally, i'm not a violent drunk), I've injured myself, I've been lifted by the police, I've been flung out of numerous bars and clubs, I've got naked, I've vomited all over myself and my flat and lost godknows how many days lying in bed recovering. In saying that though some of the best times of my life have folded around the booze. Basically my drinking habits haven't change since I was 13, I've just turned 24, I still don't know when I've had enough. Once I start drinking I physically can't stop. I gave up the drink for a month in August, I didnt feel any better but it did make me realise my entire social life is based around alcohol. Most of my friends are in relationships and whenever i'm out with them, they rarely have more than a couple of drinks, meanwhile I'm pouring gallons of gin down my gullet. I have gone out and got pissed by myself many times. I kind of feel like an outsider because of this, like they just think of me as some kind of drunken jester, which is fair enough considering my behaviour. But it obviously makes me feel like **** when I think about it, so i drink even more to forget about it or to not feel awkward when I'm around them. When I'm sober I'm very quiet and self conscience the complete opposite to how I behave when I'm pished. I would hate for my parents to see me drunk because they would not recognise their son so I never drink around them, even at Christmas, much to their bemusement. When I'm not drinking the only thing I think about is the next time I'm going out for a drink. Do I need to give up the drink altogether or do I just need to learn to control it? I think I use it as a confidence boost more than anything but I have a history of alcoholism on my mothers side which worries me somewhat.

ReputationRep:
    Merry Christmas :absinth::beer:

ReputationRep:
    I think maybe you should give it up for a while, and then introduce it gradually until u know your limit, I know what u mean and it's so horrible thinking back on what you've done and knowing it was purely because you had drank so much - giving it up forever limits you so much but hopefully if you find the amount of drink that makes you just tipsy but not at all gone then your sorted - and when you go out only bring enough money to get you to that level.

ps, never have pre-drinks never a good idea if you can't handle it

ReputationRep:
    From what you've said it doesn't sound like you're dependant upon alcohol, you can go for days without it etc so it may not be necessary to cut it out completely if you can learn to drink in moderation.
    Your post makes like there are only 2 options, hideously drunk and sober. It's more a spectrum if you think about it, you just need to stop yourself at a different spot on that spectrum. Its possible to drink just enough to have a good time and feel confident without being so drunk you vomit/fall over/are hungover etc.
    I've had similar problems in the past drinking too quickly, so now when I'm out will alternate alcoholic drinks with soft drinks to keep myself in check! Saves loads of cash too! You could give it a go...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peacefrog16)
    Don't really know where to start here. I've been drinking since I was 13, pretty common growing up in the West of Scotland, so have all my friends. But I have always been the one who is in the worst state by the end of the night not because I can't handle it but because I literally cannot stop drinking until I collapse. I have been in some disgusting states and done some disgusting things, I've hurt people (mainly emotionally, i'm not a violent drunk), I've injured myself, I've been lifted by the police, I've been flung out of numerous bars and clubs, I've got naked, I've vomited all over myself and my flat and lost godknows how many days lying in bed recovering. In saying that though some of the best times of my life have folded around the booze. Basically my drinking habits haven't change since I was 13, I've just turned 24, I still don't know when I've had enough. Once I start drinking I physically can't stop. I gave up the drink for a month in August, I didnt feel any better but it did make me realise my entire social life is based around alcohol. Most of my friends are in relationships and whenever i'm out with them, they rarely have more than a couple of drinks, meanwhile I'm pouring gallons of gin down my gullet. I have gone out and got pissed by myself many times. I kind of feel like an outsider because of this, like they just think of me as some kind of drunken jester, which is fair enough considering my behaviour. But it obviously makes me feel like **** when I think about it, so i drink even more to forget about it or to not feel awkward when I'm around them. When I'm sober I'm very quiet and self conscience the complete opposite to how I behave when I'm pished. I would hate for my parents to see me drunk because they would not recognise their son so I never drink around them, even at Christmas, much to their bemusement. When I'm not drinking the only thing I think about is the next time I'm going out for a drink. Do I need to give up the drink altogether or do I just need to learn to control it? I think I use it as a confidence boost more than anything but I have a history of alcoholism on my mothers side which worries me somewhat.
    1. Re-read your post
    2. Answer the question you just asked us.

ReputationRep:
    You've hit most of the buzz words for alcoholism, go see your GP... get a lot more help from him than randoms on the internet. You're not one of these people who gets drunk occasionally but can't handle it, sounds like you genuinely have an alcohol problem (not meant in a negative way, you just need to see someone about it as its obviously got out of hand if even you realise this)

ReputationRep:
    1) you're like me somewhat in that, being a bit introverted or whatever you use drink to come out of your shell. This is fine in small amounts but evidently you're separating your self into two parts - the part you let your friends see and the part you let your parents see - you need to 'put yourself together' so to speak

2) Yeah, if you're thinking about alcohol most of the time, relying on it, consistently drinking to excess AND you have a family history, you have a problem. My advice first of all would be see a counsellor because they can help you realise what problems you are covering up with the alcohol.

x

ReputationRep:
    I shall say it how it is. You are alcoholic. You need some help as alcoholism can break brilliant lives to pieces. I hope all is sorted out soon.
    Merry christmas

ReputationRep:
    Having a mother who has died from alcoholism I can say I think you are too young too be a full blown alcoholic but I think you do have the makings. If you do not wish to be tee total then as someone has previously stated you need to learn how much cash it takes to get you "drunk" and only take that with you. My mother learned too late that she was alcoholic and by then it was too late too fix it but you have the chance to potentially fix it. I wish you all the best, go to meetings if you need to

ReputationRep:
    Well personally I think everyone needs to give up the drink, but you definately, DEFIANETLY do, or at least get to the point where you can drink but don't get drunk at all. My mother died when I was 14 of liver failure (caused by drinking) so, yeah, give it up, go see a counsellor, do something.
    Good luck x

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the responses people, appreciate it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 26, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.