The Student Room Group

Best army in history?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
My vote goes to the German armies.

I feel they were always defeated strategically rather then in battle.

Having said that, the other members of our bloody western European family are pretty lethal - Britain and France.

I can't fault the Mongolians, but I do feel a lot of their success was built on bad enemy commanders. Their tactics would get destroyed by a defensive position stuffed full of archers; likewise for the Finns that have been mentioned.

Original post by dnumberwang

300 120: the indian version

That is ****ing hilarious. Wonderful find dnumberwang. :biggrin:
The British army 1750 - 1918

Rorke's drift...Thin red line....Waterloo...Those were the days...

:moon:
(edited 13 years ago)
Sobieski's army at the Battle of Vienna. Largest cavalry charge in history. :sogood:
Jehovah's witnesses -- there's literally no stopping them.
Reply 64
Duh.. British army in the empires hayday!
Original post by domino0806
Sobieski's army at the Battle of Vienna. Largest cavalry charge in history. :sogood:

Do you notice how the Ottomans almost always have far superior numbers in battle, yet lose half the time? Just an observation Ive made over the years.
chuck norris.....no army can defeat him
Well COMPARATIVELY, probably the US Army as it was a couple of years after Soviet Collapse, the Roman Army around 100ish AD when it held no equal or the Mongol Army under Genghis, Ogedai and Kublai Khan. The Muslim armies which overran the whole of Arabia, North Africa and Spain in a short time frame also come to mind.
Reply 68

Hmm; you need to read the whole story behind that battle.
Reply 69
Rashidun/Ottoman Armies/Mamluk

The first crushed the Romans/Persians, the second defeated the Crusader armies, the third defeated the Mongol Empire
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 70
La Grande Armée.

/thread
Reply 71
Well, the Doctor says that the Roman Army was the best ever.... that is until the turned out to be made of plastic and forced him into the Pandorica.... :tongue:

300 120: the indian version

Everyone who knows anything about the 1971 knows that it was wrong on the part of Pakistan and that Pakistan's failures during the war were not due to the individual Indian soldier being superior but because of ******* Pakistani commanders led by the dickhead Yahya Khan.
Reply 74
Original post by nuodai
Finland in the 1939-40 Winter War:

Woww interesting!
Original post by Lou_Ferrigno

greatest armies in recent history: prussian army under freddy the great, nazi army to 1942-43, napoleon to 1807, american 1944-45

I really don't see how one can look at an armed force and say it was the greatest when a few months later the tide turns and they get crushed.

If they were that great they wouldn't have been beated so quickly.
Reply 76
has to be on reflecting my research the early muslim army, courage, bravery and spirits were unmatched. obv all due to their chief ... who kept them united.
Reply 77
I don't think one army in particular can be described as the best army in history. All different eras, different wars, different weapons, different men etc.
I CBA to give this much thought, but as far as the suggestions on the first page go, the Germanz are winning.
Original post by AP1989
The north Vietnamese deserve to be mentioned.

What I was thinking.

I'd go for the Romans.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending