The Student Room Group

Best army in history?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Reply 81
Original post by KayK
Oh ****, what was that documentary called which tests out the weapons of different armies and they rate which are the best at the end of the show? They did one of the Samurai and Vikings and the Taliban and IRA?

Ultimate Warrior?
Reply 82
Original post by Wesssty
Ultimate Warrior?

DEADLIEST WARRIOR, thanks.
Reply 83
Original post by KayK
DEADLIEST WARRIOR, thanks.

oh yeah!
The humans, we've conquered virtually every corner of this planet and space soon.

However, a faction that had the greatest army in all of time has to be the Mongol or the Chinese.
Original post by KayK
Oh ****, what was that documentary called which tests out the weapons of different armies and they rate which are the best at the end of the show? They did one of the Samurai and Vikings and the Taliban and IRA?

Deadlist Warrior, the worst TV show ever imo.
Their tests are inaccurate and biased, just a load of crap.
Original post by ColonelMoore
Macedonian army during the reigns of Philip and Alexander the Great. Phenomenal training, phenomenal leadership.

I second this.

The Third Reich's army was second best imo.
Original post by SatanIsAwesome
I second this.

The Third Reich's army was second best imo.

you're either an idiot, know nothing about the The Third Reich, or are talking about a different Third Reich
Reply 88
The best army in world was the solders of the Mongol and Persian empires.
The greatest Warrior state of all times was Sparta.
Hmmm... I have the answer.

Original post by Jim Pansen
I would say the early Muslims. They conquered one third of the WORLD, almost everything between Spain and China. They destroyed the two superpowers at that time, the Romans and the Persians and their commander in chief was probably the most influential person in human history. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_100

Mongols had far more land as did British as did the Soviets/Russian as did the Chinese.
yeah I'd have to say German 'Blitzkrieg' (lightning-war), 1939 I think it started.
Original post by Jackthevillain
German army - took over most of western Europe in about 6-8 weeks while it took Britain, America and the rest of the commonwealth about 9 months to get into Germany from France post d day landings. Also Germany got to Moscow in 6 months from central Poland while it took the Russians 2 and a ahlf years to get to Berlin and weeks to take Berlin even though at the end they were fighting 12 year olds who they outnumbered 20 to 1. Also remember Tannenberg the greatest battle victory in the world wars.

yes the Germany army is good when likened with the Russian.
I could declare myself an army and boast more efficiency than the Russians'.
German army perished due to its own ineptness and the inefficiencies of The Third Reich's feudal hierarchy.
and the answer to the question is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1csr0dxalpI
Original post by qasman

lol, oh you joker
Reply 95
Tamil Tigers
Reply 96
Original post by dnumberwang
True, I'm just creating sensationalism and exaggeration by using statistics out of context... heh, I could be an editor for the Daily Mail or the Guardian.

> heh, i could be an editor for the Daily Mail or the Guardian
>the Guardian
> I see what you did there.
Not exactly an army, but this guy alone might as well be an army.

Audie Murphy. Look him up.

Spanish armada. Jk And oh the trojan horse story is a good one if it actually took place.
Reply 99
There were many great armies in history... don't think it's possible to call a single army 'the best'

For me, and my personal interests, I think the Muslims armies of the first 500 years of Islam were very good for what they achieved, and in most cases, how they treated their opponents.

Nobody has mentioned Salahuddin and his army yet... I love his name :colondollar:... and he's probably one of the greatest 'lesser known' leaders in history.

But yeh like someone said earlier... the context of every single battle in history needs to be known before you could ever classify any single army as 'the best'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending