Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hghgh

ReputationRep:
    sorry to here that ,
    what type of schizo ?

ReputationRep:
    can't say I have anything similar, but don't they provide you with antipsychotic meds that help?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uni_student_10)
    I've recently been diagnosed with Schizophrenia due to a psychotic episode. I was in my final year of studying when this happened in October. I missed 2 months worth of work so I can't graduate next year. But the uni has said I can come back in January but I find it difficult concentrating now. Is there anything I can do to improve my concentration and does anyone else have a similar experience?
    I am on anti-psychotic medication, the lack of concentration is really really ****ing awful, you got my complete sympathy there - I'm a third year too trying to do uni and it's just not happening. What might help is taking stuff in tiny steps, and work it up. When you're having a good day don't waste it, but don't push yourself too hard either, just aim for reading a paragraph to start with (and writing notes) then do something you enjoy - if you're anything like me the concentration is **** even for stuff you enjoy too so make sure you do some of that too. If you're having a bad day though don't push yourself too much because you'll just end up feeling even more **** and it'll stop you wanting to try again later.

You could try getting software which reads out articles etc if it would help you, as I think maybe sometimes it's easier to listen-concentrate than read-concentrate. The adobe pdf reader has a read outloud function but in my experience it's jerky and not so easy to understand.

You could try a different med as different ones can help with different stuff/have different side effects.

Not sure if this will help you at all, if I think of anything else I'll post it later, good luck. :console:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uni_student_10)
    Do you experience memory loss or inability to memorize things efficiently? I think the coursework I can do well at but I'm worried about exams.
    Yeah both. I don't really manage either coursework or exams great, but I get extra time and a seperate room for exams which I guess helps a bit because I don't need to worry about trying to remember everything fast I can take my time over it which helps. But yeah if you can't remember to begin with it only helps so much. Have you thought about taking a year out? There's no rush for you to finish so you could take time out to see if things get better then go back once you can do it better = better grade. I should really take my own advice with that :p: Luckily I don't do a course where memorization of raw facts is particularly important. Have you spoken to your uni about it? They might be able to suggest things they could do to help.

ReputationRep:
    I can say I have a friend with a diagnosed shizophrenia, she used to be a brilliant student and today, after few months of treatment, she has huge learning difficulties and can't concentrate too. I've heard it's just one of unwanted effects common for people taking that kind of pills. But it's only what i've heard and I may not be right

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 25, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.