Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you write thank you letters? Watch

• View Poll Results: Do you write thank you letters?
    After every gift!
    30.43%
    Never
    52.17%
    Only if I feel like it
    17.39%

ReputationRep:
    Throughout my childhood, getting any kind of gift would be closely followed by having to write a thank you letter to the person - even if I had already thanked them in person and this was of utmost importance.

Now, at 21 I find myself unable to accept any gift without automatically composing a rough outline for my thank you letter in my head. When I think about it rationally, they seem kind of unnecessary but even though I've grown to hate writing them, I'm racked with guilt and worry until I've written the letter.

So I'm wondering if this is just a weird thing my family does or whether everyone has to/wants to do it?

ReputationRep:
    When I was younger, say 15 and downwards, my parents always made me write thank you letters. But now I don't do it as much. Only if I didn't see the person who gave me the present in person, like if it came by post. Usually I just phone them up and say thank you though.

ReputationRep:
    I was always told by my dad when I was younger that I should send thank you letters to people who got me a present but I never did, but I always made sure to thank them in person. The only time I have ever sent a thank you card was when my grandparents sent me £200 to help pay for a college trip - I was really shocked that they gave me that amount of money so I sent them a home made card with a little thank you note instead.

ReputationRep:
    Lol no. My dad still tries to make me though. :erm:

ReputationRep:
    I don't, I never get round to it. I sent some for a birthday present about 6 months after my birthday last year. I feel bad now
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Yes, always write thank you letters!

My parents used to say if I didn't then they would take the presents away :'(

But now I just realise it's polite to!

Santa brings me 'thank you' cards every year

ReputationRep:
    I always used to have to, but I never did until about March. I haven't done it for ages though...

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I do. Family rules when I was little was that they had to go over the side, and I can't even write one shorter than that now!

ReputationRep:
    I used to send thank you cards now I tend to just ring them and say thank you or say thank you in person. Might make some this year as have got some lovely pressies

ReputationRep:
    for my birthday i do but for christmas i just say thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, to those I dont see in person.

ReputationRep:
    Any presents from family or family friends, I send them to. But if they come from one of my friends then I just say it in person.

ReputationRep:
    nah never thank you cards, just make an effort to say it in person

ReputationRep:
    I send thank you text messages or call them to thank them, usually. If I happen to see them in person on Christmas Day or Boxing Day I'll thank them in person... just depends on the circumstances. I've never actually sent thank you letters, I'm just too forgetful for that! :o:

ReputationRep:
    Yes- my parents still make me write thank you letters (for the older relatives) and thank you emails even though I'm 18.

I don't mind doing it, but I can't help thinking that most people don't really care whether they get one or not.

ReputationRep:
    I only do so if reminded, and then forced, by my parents.

ReputationRep:
    I don't write letters, but I usually call people to say thanks.

ReputationRep:
    No......it seems to be an English thing, that people do out of politeness. I call them instead (or say it there and then)

ReputationRep:
    I send thank you notes/cards to any relatives that give me something if I don't get to say thank you in person.

ReputationRep:
    I do, and certainly will this year as have got about 3 sets of nice notecards I can use! I normally leave it until the end of January though because my birthday and Christmas are only a few weeks apart and it's easier than doing 2 sets without much to say...if I do all the news in the Christmas one I have nothing to write by my birthday!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.