Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    as to -being an arts undergraduate student with no good numerical skills and not particularly good at science-i should even reconsider applying for medicine. I mean, 2 years ago i got a ridiculous score of 560/570 for the ukcat BB in gcse science and 4 for higher level ib chemistry. Though i got a 6 for hl ib biology, i don't think i am good enough for medicine. Yet i want to reapply. Do youthink it's worth it?or maybe i should continue with my subject till phd level to become an HE lecturer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itzme)
    i don't think i am good enough for medicine. Yet i want to reapply.
    If you don't think you're good enough why would you want to put patients at risk?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisismycatch22)
    If you don't think you're good enough why would you want to put patients at risk?
    well i am good at my subject but i dnt find it interesting, thus i don't do extra reading. But i love maths and i find sciences very interesting. I know i would work really hard in these subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Paramedic? Vet? Army dentist?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drdre)
    ppl
    will
    comment
    on
    this
    without
    any
    help:
    beska,organ,pixe
    godspeedgehenna
    At least learn how to spell my name properly.

This guy is just jealous because he can't seem to find a way to write his own interview notes or come up with interview answers for that matter.

The guy doesn't know what he's saying, I'm here to give advice, just not to noobs like him who ask the most pathetic questions on here.

I suggest going to the careers office at your current university, talk it out, explain your problem & see what they say. I'm not going to act like I know what's the right thing for you to do, but I do know that you have to be confident about chosing medicine. It has to be the right career path for you, and it's true to say you have to take the UKCAT again, but many universities don't require a UKCAT. So you're not completely screwed, though I'm sure people do alot better the second time. As for whether your competent enough to take a science-related course, med schools don't really look at GCSEs for grad entry, mainly your degree class. I'll send you a link to wiki which talks about graduate entry for med. Hope it helps.

Edit: Here's the link:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...cine_-_a_guide

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itzme)
    as to -being an arts undergraduate student with no good numerical skills and not particularly good at science-i should even reconsider applying for medicine. I mean, 2 years ago i got a ridiculous score of 560/570 for the ukcat BB in gcse science and 4 for higher level ib chemistry. Though i got a 6 for hl ib biology, i don't think i am good enough for medicine. Yet i want to reapply. Do youthink it's worth it?or maybe i should continue with my subject till phd level to become an HE lecturer?
    It is always worth a shot IMO if its what you want to do, surely you can apply for a MA/PhD for your subject as well as medicine? In my personal and rather short experience, you really don't need to know anything apart from basic maths (no differentiation and integration etc).

At the end of the day its your choice and you won't know whether you are good enough or not without trying

ReputationRep:
    thank you to the two posts above which gave me constructive advice and reassurd me.

ReputationRep:
    Ignore this bull****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WackyJun)
    Ignore this bull****.
    i'm sorry is there some kind of exception with the medical profession where everyone gets to have a go at being a doctor even if they're not any good? if you GENUINELY don't think you're good enough for any job it's pretty irresponsible to try to do it. much more so for medicine; people's lives are in your hands, they shouldn't have to die just because you fancied tricking people into thinking you were good enough to care for them.

now, if they DON'T really think they're not good enough, and are just trying to fish for compliments, that's a different scenario altogether... i know which my money's on.

ReputationRep:
    i'm sorry is there some kind of exception with the medical profession where everyone gets to have a go at being a doctor even if they're not any good? if you GENUINELY don't think you're good enough for any job it's pretty irresponsible to try to do it. much more so for medicine; people's lives are in your hands, they shouldn't have to die just because you fancied tricking people into thinking you were good enough to care for them.

now, if they DON'T really think they're not good enough, and are just trying to fish for compliments, that's a different scenario altogether... i know which my money's on.
    EXCUSE ME? Firstly, if I was not good enugh, the admissions panel would notice it and they would not take me. (low UKCAT/GAMSAT/grades = No admissions). But you already know that.
    My point was just that I like the confidence to even apply. How can I genuinely know I won't be good if I have not even had a go at practicing medicine? It's just that many graduate applicants have science a background and I feel I cannot compete.

ReputationRep:

GENUINELY lacking confidence in your own abilities does not equate to a GENUINE lack of ability.

And by the way, you do know the process of becoming a doctor, right?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.