This discussion is closed.
jammyd
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Here we go, another political thread (who says politics is boring?) but this one is about cricket too.

What do people think about the England cricket team going to Zimbabwe? Should they go, and ignore the condition of the state? or boycott, causing trouble, but keeping some credibility.
George-W-Duck
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by jammyd)
Here we go, another political thread (who says politics is boring?) but this one is about cricket too.

What do people think about the England cricket team going to Zimbabwe? Should they go, and ignore the condition of the state? or boycott, causing trouble, but keeping some credibility.
Personally, although i dont agree with Mugabe and Co, the sporting world know as much about politics as MOST politicians know about sport and if sport was played as it should be then the two subjects should be completely different (though on the flip side this may not be in the mind of the zimbabwean gunmen preying on our cricketeers).
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by George-W-Duck)
Personally, although i dont agree with Mugabe and Co, the sporting world know as much about politics as MOST politicians know about sport and if sport was played as it should be then the two subjects should be completely different (though on the flip side this may not be in the mind of the zimbabwean gunmen preying on our cricketeers).
I think if any of the english squad were shot, Mugabe wouldnt be in power too much longer. White farmers dont matter to the British government apparently but I suspect crickiters do. There will be an international outcry for him to be ousted.
Mark_KK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
I think if any of the english squad were shot, Mugabe wouldnt be in power too much longer. White farmers dont matter to the British government apparently but I suspect crickiters do. There will be an international outcry for him to be ousted.
Politics and Sport? Anyone else know that the Vichy regime in WW2 France banned Rugby League ordering all their assets to be transfered to Union.
kildare
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I wouldn't go personally. It's a tough call to make though.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Mark_KK)
Politics and Sport? Anyone else know that the Vichy regime in WW2 France banned Rugby League ordering all their assets to be transfered to Union.
Yes, but there is a slight difference. Rugby league also lets players play for two international countries.
4Ed
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
is it the players themselves who want to boycott the tour, or is it just the ECB?
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by 4Ed)
is it the players themselves who want to boycott the tour, or is it just the ECB?
The ECB, after recommendation by the FCO. I think players can drop out if they want though.
aliel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
[One of the questions in the firing round at Oxford was:

If you could only look at the History of Sport and no other history, what could you discover about society!]

Thought i'd just tell everyone
B00kwOrm
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by aliel)
[One of the questions in the firing round at Oxford was:

If you could only look at the History of Sport and no other history, what could you discover about society!]

Thought i'd just tell everyone
Out of interest, what did you reply?
meepmeep
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yes, but there is a slight difference. Rugby league also lets players play for two international countries.
So does union. England RU bought up Henry Paul - a New Zealander - to play for England (although he only plays sevens I think at the mo). Not sure what the relevance was to the Vincy situation though.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by meepmeep)
So does union. England RU bought up Henry Paul - a New Zealander - to play for England (although he only plays sevens I think at the mo). Not sure what the relevance was to the Vincy situation though.
Incorrect. Paul played RL for NZ. He choose to play RU for England. Two different sports. He has got an English passport and his wife and children are English I believe.
meepmeep
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Incorrect. Paul played RL for NZ. He choose to play RU for England. Two different sports. He has got an English passport and his wife and children are English I believe.
But you don't deny he is a New Zealander. Please quote a relevant example in RL then. I still fail to see what relevance it has to the Vincy situation though.
meepmeep
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
What do you think of the way the payment to newly promoted clubs in the Zurich Premiership is structured (why should it take 5 years to get "membership" for clubs like Leeds Tykes so they can only get half the money that all the other clubs do from central funds? Is it just so the big clubs can stay in the ZP when clubs like Rotherham don't have a chance?)

Btw, I don't hate union. I enjoy it a fair bit and would much rather watch it than many other sports, I just prefer league and dislike the way league is treated as a poor man's game while union is supposedly for toffs (neither of which are true particularly).
What's Chico Time Precious?
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by jammyd)

i don't think they should go out of principle, although i hate to see sport restricted by such situations. Britain and other leading nations canot however be seen to be so called "cooperating" with Mr. Mugabe for various reasons.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (228)
61.29%
Yes- I don't like it (16)
4.3%
No- I want it (103)
27.69%
No- I don't want it (25)
6.72%

Watched Threads