Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to start applying for my accommodation at Bournemouth uni but i'm a bit stuck on one question. "Please indicate which of the following would most meet your requirements" and the options are quiet or lively. What one shall i pick?

I'm applying for halls and as i do want to be partying a lot and having fun with outgoing type of people, i'm thinking to tick lively but then at times when i'm trying to work/sleep i don't want to be kept awake all night by really loud people. I know i'm contradicting myself here but i'm just in a tricky situation. Thanks for help..

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, you can party outside of your own flat. Just keep your flat as somewhere quiet to go?

ReputationRep:
    Lively, since the lively people will need to study/sleep too at some point, but if your in a quiet building, you might have boring flatmates or international/mature ones which again may not be your in your best interest depending on what you want..
    Suppose if you be conservative and go with quiet, then you can be lively everywhere else and keep your flat as your quiet space

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm guessing its a flat mate thing. So try and think; what would you think of someone else who ticked each box? Would you rather share with someone who ticked lively or quiet? rather than would you rather your flat BE lively or quiet.

It's a silly question though I think, too hard to answer, 'cause nearly everyone will want some of both. But oh well lol.

ReputationRep:
    Great advice, this has actually really helped me. I'm going to go with lively. I just thought i would much rather be living with other people that picked lively other quiet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyy92)
    Great advice, this has actually really helped me. I'm going to go with lively. I just thought i would much rather be living with other people that picked lively other quiet.
    Choose lively, but its impossible to do work or to get privacy to have time for yourself. I live in lively hall, but when I want to do my work I go to my course mates flat to do it

ReputationRep:
    ideally, you want the best of both worlds! during freshers, a lively household is one you'll have most fun in - and more fun usually equals more social mixing, and therefore more initial friends to have an enjoyable time with. my halls (talybont south, cardiff) are well-known to be the most lively, and that's served me brilliantly - we're always having a laugh with the other flats, and we all grew to be good mates during freshers.

and now that the excitement of freshers is over, things are pretty ideal for working - most people are running low on cash now, and have got plenty of work to slave over themselves, so everything has naturally quietened down a bit. in my house, we still all typically go out on thursdays and saturdays, which are our favourite nights - so all other nights are devoted to studying. this is working really well so far - we maintain the social side of things, while staying in touch with our academics.

and if you use your initial weeks to mix & make friends with your flat and housemates, the more respect you can expect from them if you've had to stay in and study while they've gone out - they do make the effort not to disturb you if they know you're trying to work or sleep. i think the key is really to develop that good, understanding kind of relationship with the people you live with - which really comes quite naturally as everyone is put into the same positions at times.

i'm personally very glad i chose the "lively" option - i don't think i would have had half as much fresher fun, or made half as many friends, otherwise! good luck. c:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.