The Student Room Group

Shortest Medical specialty?

Hi guys

I know that GP training is typically 3 years, are there any other specialities that are similar length? apart from the usual 5-7yrs

Scroll to see replies

I think GP training is going to be increased to 5years.
Reply 2
GP, for now
Reply 3
Currently GP but I can back up what InItToWinItGetIt? says as I have also heard from a Respiratory Consultant (a bit leftfield) that GP training length is going to be increased. Of course that's a second hand account and I have not been able to find direct evidence of an increase in GP training length.
Original post by fizz123
Hi guys

I know that GP training is typically 3 years, are there any other specialities that are similar length? apart from the usual 5-7yrs

The problem with speciality training is that the structure will probably change at least once between you starting and finishing it :tongue: And the length of time with it.
I dont think there is. :h:
GP at the moment. :smile:
Reply 7
i believe psychiatry is second shortest.
they are all the same.....

as regardless of how long the official training takes, you will still have to be learning about the new discoveries etc. in your field, keeping up with latest news, etc. etc.

so in that sense every single one requires a career long commitment
It's probably easier to look at which ones are longer, like surgery and within that neurosurgery
Reply 10
thanks for the info
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by fizz123
thanks for the info guys. I'm 27 right now , i have 1.5 years left of medicine, im worried that im going to be a grandfather by the time i even get to consultant level.

Dude. I'm 25 and have just started medicine... and I'm not the oldest one on my course by far! Stop worrying about time and do whatever you want to do. You'll have plenty of time do build your career anyway since the government will probably push the retirement age to 120 soon enough
Reply 12
yeah thats true
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by fizz123
yeah thats true , is anyone interested in taking the USMLE'S? I know some docs in the US, and as you all must know- they earn megabucks back in the US. Money is not my motivation, but i wonder how the US compares to the UK in terms of quality of training.

ROFL...
To be fair, they only earn megabucks because of the high cost of training over there combined with filthy malpractice insurance. That's not to say they're not comfortable, but not as well off as people think they are.

Interesting question re. quality of training. A Texan friend of mine [anecdotal, oui, but I doubt he is alone in his preconceptions] seems to think training is comparatively lacklustre here, for whatever reason (as well as the NHS at large, but that's a whole different kettle of fish!)

:holmes:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 15
I guess it'd be an advantage to be short if you're a colorectal surgeon.

:getmecoat:
Original post by Blatant Troll
To be fair, they only earn megabucks because of the high cost of training over there combined with filthy malpractice insurance. That's not to say they're not comfortable, but not as well off as people think they are.

Interesting question re. quality of training. A Texan friend of mine [anecdotal, oui, but I doubt he is alone in his preconceptions] seems to think training is comparatively lacklustre here, for whatever reason (as well as the NHS at large, but that's a whole different kettle of fish!)

:holmes:

I think the culture of what internship\residency is all about is pretty different to here - extremely long working hours and being seriously married to the job are still a big part of it and I think it's easy to look down on elsewhere as a "soft option", with trainees putting in much less time and spending less time in complete responsibility.

Compare the EWTD with US voluntary guidance brought in only in 2007 restricting residents to 80 hours per week.
Original post by annaroberts20
It's probably easier to look at which ones are longer, like surgery and within that neurosurgery

And by this you of course means to say maxfax surgery...

longest training by far. and most expensive
Reply 18
Height wise, the shortest speciality would be paeds...
Reply 19
But, if some one ( such as my bro in the US) keeps pestering me to do the usmle and come to america, then what valid points can i give him for staying in the UK ( medicine/training/career) reasons.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending