Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

BAD GRADE !! LET IT OUT !! u might not be bad as you think Watch

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    HELP Please !!

Hello people i really need help i have always wanted to study medicine and become a doctor !!

but sadly during my gcses i started missing a round a lot as a result i got a c for my biology, u for physics and an A for chemistry.

at the moment i am doing INTERNATIONAL A-LEVELS under CIE examination board in biology (FULL A-LEVEL) and math (AS only). as in CIE they don't have entry requirements for their A-LEVEL COURSES

my question is if i done well in my A-levels and applied for a uni in UK would they still look at my gcse grade (would they reject me for the u i got in physics) !!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Youssef Elhamalawy)
    HELP Please !!

Hello people i really need help i have always wanted to study medicine and become a doctor !!

but sadly during my gcses i started missing a round a lot as a result i got a c for my biology, u for physics and an A for chemistry.

at the moment i am doing INTERNATIONAL A-LEVELS under CIE examination board in biology (FULL A-LEVEL) and math (AS only). as in CIE they don't have entry requirements for their A-LEVEL COURSES

my question is if i done well in my A-levels and applied for a uni in UK would they still look at my gcse grade (would they reject me for the u i got in physics) !!!!!!
    Nope,
    You'd get blown away by the competition.
    It is competitive, people will have good A level results and good GCSE grades.

In 2009, like 29,000 people got AAA, good A level results are common and are expected, as too are good GCSE grades.

You'd need to resit, they'll look for any excuse not to take you, honestly.
    GCSE's might not matter too much, but if its a way to discriminate against candidates that are otherwise equal, then it's a way to say no to you.

Oh and if you can't mess around and do well at GCSE, then you're foolish, don't do both if you can't handle it D:
    Atleast you'll know for the future though

ReputationRep:
    I would say resit your weakest GCSE's and make sure that you've got outstanding A-levels. You might then have a fair chance, cause competiton for medicine is FIERCE. Also, how it possible to get a U for physics then an A for chemistry? Just wondering...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nerimon18)
    I would say resit your weakest GCSE's and make sure that you've got outstanding A-levels. You might then have a fair chance, cause competiton for medicine is FIERCE. Also, how it possible to get a U for physics then an A for chemistry? Just wondering...
    I had an A* for physics at gcse but an A for chemistry. Physics was a lot easier at gcse than chemistry

ReputationRep:
    Resit your GCSE, you can sometimes be lucky and come to the interview, do lots of work experience and be really confident in your interview. Get exeptional good A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super.teve)
    Nope,
    You'd get blown away by the competition.
    It is competitive, people will have good A level results and good GCSE grades.

In 2009, like 29,000 people got AAA, good A level results are common and are expected, as too are good GCSE grades.

You'd need to resit, they'll look for any excuse not to take you, honestly.
    GCSE's might not matter too much, but if its a way to discriminate against candidates that are otherwise equal, then it's a way to say no to you.

Oh and if you can't mess around and do well at GCSE, then you're foolish, don't do both if you can't handle it D:
    Atleast you'll know for the future though
    Yeah, but they're not all going to apply for medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beautiful And Kind)
    Resit your GCSE, you can sometimes be lucky and come to the interview, do lots of work experience and be really confident in your interview. Get exeptional good A-levels.
    But, you have to remember:

Most medicine candidates will have good GCSE grades aswell as work experience, good A levels and such.

He really shouldn't apply with a U, when he can resit and be sorted.

Like I said above, good grades are expected, they are standard. Any reason to reject someone is a reason, because competition is so high.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    Yeah, but they're not all going to apply for medicine.
    I know that, but its a demonstration how good A levels are not really going to make up for a U at GCSE in a related subject.
    Okay, it's not the end of the world, but lots of people get AAA and A*AA etc and so, just getting good A levels is not enough.

^ Not my words, the words of an admissions tutor at University of Birmingham.

ReputationRep:
    just be happy with your grade and get a mediocre job in future

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nerimon18)
    I would say resit your weakest GCSE's and make sure that you've got outstanding A-levels. You might then have a fair chance, cause competition for medicine is FIERCE. Also, how it possible to get a U for physics then an A for chemistry? Just wondering...
    well i i just did, even though i know for sure that i redone my physics gcse ill easily get an A*, also one of the reasons i got u was that our teacher was simply not a qualified physics teacher he was banker who got interest in physics tbh he knew lots of stuff but he simply doesn't know how to pass down his info to students.

anyway, i think i will just redo my biology and physics then !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilyking)
    I had an A* for physics at gcse but an A for chemistry. Physics was a lot easier at gcse than chemistry
    Riiiiight

ReputationRep:
    Haha your physics teacher was a banker? Did he have a science-related degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticSkills)
    just be happy with your grade and get a mediocre job in future

your reply is very youtubish :s

ReputationRep:
    your reply is very youtubish :s
    is that even a word

nah but seriously, try resitting it there's nothing else you can do if you're not happy with your grade.

ReputationRep:
    well i i just did, even though i know for sure that i redone my physics gcse ill easily get an A*, also one of the reasons i got u was that our teacher was simply not a qualified physics teacher he was banker who got interest in physics tbh he knew lots of stuff but he simply doesn't know how to pass down his info to students.

anyway, i think i will just redo my biology and physics then !!
    How did he manage to teach Physics then, without a degree or teaching qualification?
    Don't blame it on your teacher, the buck stops with you.
    Ever heard of self teaching?

ReputationRep:

Most medicine candidates will have good GCSE grades aswell as work experience, good A levels and such.

Like I said above, good grades are expected, they are standard. Any reason to reject someone is a reason, because competition is so high.
    Yes you are coorect

ReputationRep:

thanks. mate

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.