Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    After tens of job application processes and 5~6 interviews, I managed to get an offer from a company. It is a medium sized consultancy firm with offices in about 20 other countries. And I my role will be a consultant.

It is a graduate scheme so I will get some benefit package that includes; bonus, pension scheme, life assurance, medical insurace etc.
    But thing I am worried about is the salary.
    They offered me 22k salary which I think is quiet low.

I am studying Msc at Imperial and I got 2.2 in my bachelor.

What would you guys do ?
    Would you accept this offer or reject it and hope for better offer from other companies??

Any advice would be apprieciated.

ReputationRep:
    A consultant means on a higher levels, 22K is quiet low for me personally. Its your choice.

ReputationRep:
    £22,000 starting salary doesn't sound to bad to me. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    What is the company? and as its a scheme, I will grab it with both hands

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redoxi7)
    After tens of job application processes and 5~6 interviews, I managed to get an offer from a company. It is a medium sized consultancy firm with offices in about 20 other countries. And I my role will be a consultant.

It is a graduate scheme so I will get some benefit package that includes; bonus, pension scheme, life assurance, medical insurace etc.

What would you guys do ?
    Would you accept this offer or reject it and hope for better offer from other companies??

how did you get into imperial with a 2.2?

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like it's quite low. What does this graduate scheme look like? How long does it last? What do you have to do to 'pass' it, what would be the salary afterwards?
    I've just had a look at a brochure of "CHP Consulting" yesterday before throwing it away and they offered £35k with benefits for their entry positions. I expect to get paid at least that amount at the bigger ones as well. However, you start there as a <insert job name here> which would make them "proper" employees and not just "trainees".

ReputationRep:
    As it is your first job I would focus more on the training etc, than the salary (unless you can't live off it) to start with. So consider if you will gain experience and knowledge here that you can take elsewhere/use to progress the career ladder. Will you enjoy working there?

ReputationRep:
    Please don't turn down that job unless you have a better offer in hand. You can always look for something else later on - at the moment the jobs climate is so bad that it would be pretty stupid to turn such an offer down without anything else lined up. It's not like you'd be on £22k forever!

ReputationRep:
    Where is it based? if it's London you are going to struggle with living and transport costs!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sambo2)
    how did you get into imperial with a 2.2?
    I think somebody may be telling lies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arcanine)
    I think somebody may be telling lies.
    did Beng at Imperial and my 2.2 was very near 2.1 so they accepted me..

Where is it based? if it's London you are going to struggle costs!
    It is in Guildford so i will have to take a train there and will take around 50 min..

Arhhhhh!!
    So unsure what to do...:mad:

ReputationRep:
    Oh do you mind if I ask what company it is? It's not detica by any chance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redoxi7)

What would you guys do ?

wtf? How?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beautiful And Kind)
    A consultant means on a higher levels, 22K is quiet low for me personally. Its your choice.
    22k shouldn't sound bad for a person who can't tell the difference between "quite" and "quiet", but nevermind.

OP: At the end of the day, a job is a job. If you think you're going to get another shot somewhere else that will pay you better then do that, but in this current financial climate I think you'd be slightly mad to pass up the offer - especially since you got a 2.2 (I am no where near good enough for Imperial, just saying you're competing against others with 1sts and 2.1s here.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wookie42)
    22k shouldn't sound bad for a person who can't tell the difference between "quite" and "quiet", but nevermind.

OP: At the end of the day, a job is a job. If you think you're going to get another shot somewhere else that will pay you better then do that, but in this current financial climate I think you'd be slightly mad to pass up the offer - especially since you got a 2.2 (I am no where near good enough for Imperial, just saying you're competing against others with 1sts and 2.1s here.)
    Correct

ReputationRep:
    Train costs. Standard class Annual Ticket from Guildford to London.

PSS - SEASON STD SWT
    00506 - CLANDON/WOKING

1 Adult @£ 2916.00 = £ 2916.00

Standard Class Season
    To : 1072 LONDON TERMINALS

ReputationRep:
    Consulting is a very broad term. Do you know what kinda consulting they do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelkin)
    Please don't turn down that job unless you have a better offer in hand. You can always look for something else later on - at the moment the jobs climate is so bad that it would be pretty stupid to turn such an offer down without anything else lined up. It's not like you'd be on £22k forever!
    This.

If you're not happy with the reward package then continue applying to other schemes. If you dont get any better offers then accept it (obviously don't tell them that! ). Personally, if its a graduate scheme then thats not awful, its at the lower end of the spectrum especially for an engineering background however remember thats a starting salary.

I have just accepted a graduate scheme with a starting salary of 25k but I know that after 18months, I finish the scheme on between 40-45k (if I stay in Surrey) plus a potential 30% bonus.

So I wouldnt neccesarily look at the starting salary but more on what your salary is going to be at the end of your graduate scheme.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.