Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Since it was snowing, our pipes have frozen about 3-4 times now. You normally find out when you open your taps and the water just does not go through the hole.

Here is how we do it:
    1.) Find the freezed pipe.
    2.) Poor hot boiled water from a boiled kettle through it.
    3.) Let it melt through.
    4.) Open your taps and see if its working

Does anyone do it a different way?
    Thanks for reading.

ReputationRep:
    That's interesting, but how do you pour the water through the sealed pipe? Or do you mean over it?
    I don't have the problem, I'm spending my christmas and new years in Malaysia

ReputationRep:
    pipes have never frozen! i assume these pipes are outside, otherwise i don't understand how they get cold enough to freeze!

also how on earth do you find the frozen pipe?! i just cant think of a sensible (low tech) way to do it!

ReputationRep:
    Oh God yes We can't use our upstairs bathroom because of it - all the water drains down through the ceiling into the kitchen below! It means we can't have showers or baths, we're having to go for a swim to keep clean :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beautiful And Kind)
    Since it was snowing, our pipes have frozen about 3-4 times now. You normally find out when you open your taps and the water just does not go through the hole.

Here is how we do it:
    1.) Find the freezed pipe.
    2.) Poor hot boiled water from a boiled kettle through it.
    3.) Let it melt through.
    4.) Open your taps and see if its working

Does anyone do it a different way?
    Thanks for reading.
    Came home from the cinema, heard a loud noise. The entire shed was knee deep in water, must have been happening for hours.
    I **** myself, didn't know what to do.
    Took me an hour to find the stop clock.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jack06)
    That's interesting, but how do you pour the water through the sealed pipe? Or do you mean over it?
    I don't have the problem, I'm spending my christmas and new years in Malaysia
    Well, im not so sure but my dad knew that the water from the bathroom was not warm so he checked the bathroom pipe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    pipes have never frozen! i assume these pipes are outside, otherwise i don't understand how they get cold enough to freeze!

also how on earth do you find the frozen pipe?! i just cant think of a sensible (low tech) way to do it!
    Yes outside. How you find it, is the hard bit. Just find the room's pipe, for example the bathroom's pipe outside.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clarky-x)
    My boyfriends pipes have frozen and has no hot water. His run up his driveway so he has been out shovelling the snow and ice from the drive way in attempt to help them defrost
    Awwwww!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super.teve)
    Came home from the cinema, heard a loud noise. The entire shed was knee deep in water, must have been happening for hours.
    I **** myself, didn't know what to do.
    Took me an hour to find the stop clock.
    Awww! Same it took us about 1 hour and 30 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    I just pissed into mine.

ReputationRep:
    Someone has wrote a useful article on it:
    http://www.suite101.com/content/how-...reezing-a88927

Hope it helps

ReputationRep:
    My aunty's pipes froze,but luckily I had a heat gun to thaw the pipes out. Far more efficient

ReputationRep:
    My parents keep the heating on at a low level throughout this winter to avoid the pipes freezing apparently. Considering its been consistantly -10 or below in their area makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    Heat guns can be a bit iffy, you can be better off using a hair dryer (carefully) as it's a bit more gentle. We had an outside pipe going to an annex freeze a burst, in two places. Isolated it and got it fixed by a friend (I don't have a pipe cutter handy and it is impossible to reach with a hacksaw, otherwise I may have given it a bash).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.