Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i want to be able to take card payments online, but i'd like to receive the payments more than once a month. can anyone recommend a merchant account? also, with paypal, can customers pay without having a paypal account?

ReputationRep:
    Basically, if you're just starting out then its your best bet to use PayPals easy shopping cart setup.

I'm pretty sure you can accept card payments through that as well.

If a site is unknown I will only buy from it if it has PayPal.

If it is well established I'll use Card payments if they don't have PayPal.

Seeing as your website is not established then its best to only use PayPal as a payment method.

You should then put in your policy the reasons why you have used PayPal only;

Basically its safer for both parties involved, the customer and you, the seller.

Credit/Debit card payment issues can be a nightmare to resolve whereas with PayPal a dispute can always be opened.

As you are unknown, I wouldnt use a card to purchase from you, I would only if you had paypal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by himynameisbob)
    i want to be able to take card payments online, but i'd like to receive the payments more than once a month. can anyone recommend a merchant account? also, with paypal, can customers pay without having a paypal account?
    I know a lot of people who use Worldpay or Sagepay. As for the PayPal question, yes, you don't need to order using a PayPal account.

tbh, contrary to what the poster above has said, I would avoid buying from sites with PayPal - it just screams "unprofessional", and as a seller who sometimes uses PayPal, I dislike how PayPal have you by the short and curlies apparently on a whim at times

(if you're looking for a PayPal like solution though - have you investigated Google Checkout?)

ReputationRep:
    What is it that you want to sell ?

But there are 2 types of paypal. The one where the buyer will have to go on paypal website to make the payment and the one where it all happens within your website.
    The most common I have seen are paypal and/or google chekout

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by p+i+n+k)
    What is it that you want to sell ?
    i'm trying to sell entrance tickets for my uni's poker society (i want to integrate it with the existing website). i basically just want the cheapest solution that allows you to almost instantly withdraw your funds.

ReputationRep:
    i'm trying to sell entrance tickets for my uni's poker society (i want to integrate it with the existing website). i basically just want the cheapest solution that allows you to almost instantly withdraw your funds.
    paypal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by p+i+n+k)
    paypal
    thanks, binti.

ReputationRep:
    best bet is to use something like payal/google checkout. might also be worth talking to you student union as they might already have something you can link into.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.