Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Santa brought me a wad of cash to spend on a computer Watch

ReputationRep:
    What would you recommend? I have about £800 to spend if needed but would prefer to spend a lot less so I have some left over for new clothes. I'm undecided on whether I want a laptop or a desktop. I have a *****y 3 year old laptop at the minute but it sits on my desk full time. Which is better do you think, laptop or desktop? I also don't mind building a desktop computer if I could maybe get more for my money.

I want to use my computer for recording/mixing/producing, playing football manager, storing/playing masses of music, and surfing tinterwebs. What specs do I need?

cheeeeeers, and merry christmas

ReputationRep:
    Build your own desktop

ReputationRep:
    I second that!

ReputationRep:
    What sort of things would I need to buy to do that though? I am a complete novice. What sort of specs should I be looking at and how much should I spend?

ReputationRep:
    When I built my computer I wanted the best I could possibly get, so I hit up some of the computer forums and asked their advice.
    Once I had a list of the parts I needed I went shopping online and sourced the best prices. I could find.
    Ended up with an amazing computer for just over £1000 delivered to my house in lot's of little boxes :cool:

ReputationRep:
    How serious is your "recording/mixing/producing"? Just, that's gonna be the most resource intensive task - and, TBH, it's not that recourse intensive compared to a lot of things, like, say multi-cam HD video editing or something. Football manager, music storage/playing and internet is nothing.

You'll probably be better served getting not so fast a computer but some better audio gear if it's a serious thing. Say - a good pair of Open headphones, in ear monitors, 2 decent field monitors, a decent sub and a decent amp. What audio gear do you have already?

8 core CPUs and 32GB of RAM is all nice and dandy, but if the most intensive program you're gonna be running is adobe audition and you're playing it out through a pair of iPod earphones - there's a balance issue somewhere.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    If you don't use your current PC as a portable one there is no point going for a laptop over a desktop. For about £400 you could get a fairly decent duel core 2.8GHz intel CPU, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB hard drive PC. I'd suggest looking here, and then using google product search to find the components cheaper to do it yourself.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 25, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.