Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is LED TV really worth it? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So i'm thinking of buying a new telly and saw this offer in Argos:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...7C16180235.htm

However i'm seeing much better deals on LCD TV's so i'm wondering is it really worth getting an LED or shall i go for a really good LCD TV?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Bump.

ReputationRep:
    That TV (and pretty much all other "LED" TV's) are actually LCD displays. The LED part is the backlight behind the screen (older LCDs use a CCFL backlight).

ReputationRep:
    We got a new LED TV and are loving it. While we were shopping I asked the sales man the difference between LCD and LED and he showed me two identical TVs in terms of size and make, except one was LED and the other LCD. I saw a noticable difference in the quality - LED looked great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    That TV (and pretty much all other "LED" TV's) are actually LCD displays. The LED part is the backlight behind the screen (older LCDs use a CCFL backlight).
    Don't LED get a better picture:confused:

I went to Currys and looked at an LED and LCD TV, the LED was much more clear & the picture was much better.

ReputationRep:
    Seems like a good deal; although with TVs you can never really tell until you've seen moving pictures on them first-hand. Not too sure about Bush as a brand though...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i know the differences but i'm just looking for value for money.

I just saw this Plasma for the same price:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...7C14419686.htm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1F2R3)

I went to Currys and looked at an LED and LCD TV, the LED was much more clear & the picture was much better.
    The LED backlight is better than a CCFL backlight, yes.
    But most "LED" TV's on the market are still LCD displays.

ReputationRep:
    don't get a plasma.......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ?!master?!mini?!)
    don't get a plasma.......
    why? I thought Plasma TV's are the best but just consume alot of power and are susceptible to burn-in.

ReputationRep:
    When I looked at a few of Samsung's LED TVs in Currys, they really did look lovely; the colours popped beautifully, the blacks were rich and deep and the whites were clean and pure. Whether they're worth the extra few hundred quid over a normal TV is your decision, although if I had the money I'd go for one over an LCD/Plasma TV. However, I have heard that some of them suffer from something called LED bleeding where the LEDs on the edge of the screen bleed light in dark conditions which I'd imagine would be really off-putting.

ReputationRep:
    I saw an LED/LCD comparison in Currys

LED rules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thedepressedchild)
    why? I thought Plasma TV's are the best but just consume alot of power and are susceptible to burn-in.
    Burn in isn't even that big a problem with newer plasma TV's...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blatchcorn)
    We got a new LED TV and are loving it. While we were shopping I asked the sales man the difference between LCD and LED and he showed me two identical TVs in terms of size and make, except one was LED and the other LCD. I saw a noticable difference in the quality - LED looked great.
    (Original post by M1F2R3)

Heh, I used to love doing this when I worked at an electronics shop.

Position two tvs next to each other, either connect the one you want to sell to a better source, or fiddle with the image settings on both so that the one you want to sell has better colour (also ramp up the sharpness to full on the other one so it looks noisy, turn the contrast/saturation down so it looks all washed out etc) then watch as the ignorant punters come in and get really drawn in by how much better the model you want to sell them is.

Like shooting fish in a barrel, only easier...

I had some ****ing amazing comission bonuses though

ReputationRep:
    from what I know LED just saves energy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigmo7)
    Burn in isn't even that big a problem with newer plasma TV's...
    Oh ok i see. So what do you think i should get? LED or Plasma? Which one is more value for money?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TShadow383)

Position two tvs next to each other, either connect the one you want to sell to a better source, or fiddle with the image settings on both so that the one you want to sell has better colour (also ramp up the sharpness to full on the other one so it looks noisy, turn the contrast/saturation down so it looks all washed out etc) then watch as the ignorant punters come in and get really drawn in by how much better the model you want to sell them is.

Hell thats nothing. I've seen sales people try to make a comparison between HD TV's where one was playing a Blu-ray via HDMI, and the other was playing a DVD via composite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TShadow383)

To be fair, the LED one was 3D and the LCD wasn't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thedepressedchild)
    Oh ok i see. So what do you think i should get? LED or Plasma? Which one is more value for money?
    If you're getting 32" then it would have to be LED/LCD but I reckon if you shop around you can find a better make than Bush.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigmo7)
    If you're getting 32" then it would have to be LED/LCD but I reckon if you shop around you can find a better make than Bush.
    Yeah i think i can get something better than bush but i'm just considering the type of TV at the moment. So you're saying i should go for LED? I want to get either a 32" or 37"

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.