Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Happy xmas everyone!
    Just looking at buying a laptop and wondered what peoples experiences were with the smaller notebooks etc.

I just want it for surfing really few films prob via my tv but would imagine all can do that now???. Needs to have wireless capabilities prob all do that too?

I have really small hands so dont think keyboard size should be a problem if anything would probably suit just not sure.

No budget as such but it must look good to me quite like Samsung R540-JA04UK Core i3 Laptop in Silver - NP-R540-JA04UK

any opinions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aaron Ramsey)
    Happy xmas everyone!
    Just looking at buying a laptop and wondered what peoples experiences were with the smaller notebooks etc.

I just want it for surfing really few films prob via my tv but would imagine all can do that now???. Needs to have wireless capabilities prob all do that too?

I have really small hands so dont think keyboard size should be a problem if anything would probably suit just not sure.

No budget as such but it must look good to me quite like Samsung R540-JA04UK Core i3 Laptop in Silver - NP-R540-JA04UK

any opinions?
    I love my 17" laptop, but it depends on personal preference.

What is the max resolution of the screen?

ReputationRep:
    Hi Aaron Ramsey, how's your leg? Are you back in training? When are you going to start playing again

ReputationRep:
    LOL at first I thaught your thread was about something else, a guys seeing "Is 13,3 too small?" . Yeah it is small, in both cases, peace out brah

ReputationRep:
    Too small for me - that's why I got the 17 inch macbook pro. You'll get annoyed with it after a while.

ReputationRep:
    1366x 786 i think if thats what you mean??

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your interest dnemberwang. I am playing a few games for a lesser known team called nottingham forest you ll prob nevwer have heard of them??

They try bless em but cant wait to get back with cesc and the gang

ReputationRep:
    Happy xmas everyone!

any opinions?
    For what you want it for, it'll probably be fine. I have a 12.1" Thinkpad and for me, it's more than adequate.

ReputationRep:
    It's a nice resolution but I still think you'd do better with a 15.4" laptop?
    I mean size wise, it's no less portable but it'll be a bit nicer and more display room?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    For what you want it for, it'll probably be fine. I have a 12.1" Thinkpad and for me, it's more than adequate.
    12.1" Oh jeez, I could never cope with that
    Resolution?

I admire your smallness sir.

ReputationRep:
    14" is a nice size.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super.teve)
    12.1" Oh jeez, I could never cope with that
    Resolution?

I admire your smallness sir.
    1024x768.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    1024x768.
    Don't you ever feel too enclosed? :/

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure it's HUGE.

ReputationRep:
    That is a decent screen resolution.

(Original post by filtercigarettes)
    LOL at first I thaught your thread was about something else, a guys seeing "Is 13,3 too small?" . Yeah it is small, in both cases, peace out brah
    LOL.... but 13.3" of that type of thing would be HUGE

Happy xmas everyone!

any opinions?
    I been using a 13.3" laptop for 4 years now, I wouldn't get a size bigger than this again. For your needs it should be fine, and these days almost all laptops have wifi, just make sure what wifi band it can support.

For me I carry a laptop everywhere due to my work commitments and the need to be connected. I've noticed that the moment it goes beyond this size it becomes too porky and usually the larger the screen the shorter the battery life unless it has massive batteries to it.

One thing to watch out for when buying a smaller laptop is the amount of keys which have a separate function, make sure you are comfortable with it.

The other thing I would look at is whether or not the laptop has everything external and where are the cool air intakes and hot air exhaust. A lot of smaller laptops these days do not come with a built-in optical disc drive, or have the exhaust in places other than it blowing away from you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super.teve)
    Don't you ever feel too enclosed? :/
    No, not really. Besides, the benefits of the laptop that is not a lot bigger than a textbook and weighs a mere 1.6kg and has the same power as a conventional laptop, massively outweigh the downside of having a limited amount of screen real-estate.

ReputationRep:
    I have a netbook that is 10.1" Small but perfect size for me.

ReputationRep:
    That seems a sufficient amount for pleasure. :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovely_me)
    That seems a sufficient amount for pleasure. :sexface:
    :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    Happy xmas everyone!

any opinions?
    go for at least 15". You don't want to be scrolling around everywhere all the time. And you want to be able to see everything more clearly. I have used a 13.3" and it's fine but I honestly think you should go for something bigger if you are planning on having it and using it for a while
    :party::hump::slap::dance::party:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 27, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.