Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Current students: How many of you didn't visit uni accom before living there? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I went to Liverpool uni until now, and I went to visit this accomodation as it wasn't far. I can't tell if it was worthwhile or not.

Im wondering how many people didn't even look at their accomodation and just used info online as their source, and do you regret not visiting?

Im asking because all my unis this year ive applied to are quite far, and it would save time and money if I didn't have to go on open days for accomodation (Im going on the department open days, but the big open days are on different days. *sigh*).

ReputationRep:
    I never visited and I was very sad, I have high expectations.

ReputationRep:
    When I applied last year only two of the unis I applied to even had accomodation open days. On the normal open day Birmingham didnt have any accomodation on show at all (as its off campus) and Leeds had a show flat, but most of the halls are off campus. And I didn't see the point in going all the way to both just for the halls.

ReputationRep:
    When i first went to uni (Birmingham) - i dropped out coz of the course. I looked at lots of the accommodation and the one i lived in.

This time round i am at Cardiff and i didn't look at the accommodation, i had only seen photos/ read about it on here. Really loving it though, good sized rooms kitchen etc. and the people are fab!

If i was you i would atleast read a bit into the halls and see pics if you can't go and view.

ReputationRep:
    Most uni accommodation is similar. Just read up on it in the prospectuses, if it sounds particularly different, take a look

ReputationRep:
    I looked at some accommodation at some universities, but I ended up at Warwick where I didn't bother looking as they only opened two blocks (ones I knew I wasn't interested in) and they had massive queues to get in and look around so I figured my time was best spent looking at everything else campus had to offer. I did walk around to go and look at the area the hall I wanted to live in was though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by impossible!)
    I went to Liverpool uni until now, and I went to visit this accomodation as it wasn't far. I can't tell if it was worthwhile or not.

Im wondering how many people didn't even look at their accomodation and just used info online as their source, and do you regret not visiting?

Im asking because all my unis this year ive applied to are quite far, and it would save time and money if I didn't have to go on open days for accomodation (Im going on the department open days, but the big open days are on different days. *sigh*).
    I know it might seem a bit annoying as they're far away but I would really rocommend visiting the accommodation. I currently commute to uni but was originally planning to live in the town/city of the universities that I visited and it was my visit to the accommodation that swayed me.

I'm at Huddersfield uni and the accomodation is a nightmare because it's so far away from the town centre and you really do need a bus to get to uni each day. In fact, my friend is usually late because those buses are usually packed and she has to wait for another Although, that said, it was nice there.
    At another uni that I looked at, it felt really cramped and kind of like a prison :confused: It had really narrow, dark corridors with no natural light

You'll find mixed responses on the internet about accomodation because people have different tastes and expectations. For example, me and my mum overheard another family saying how lovely the accommodation was for the last one lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baula)
    I know it might seem a bit annoying as they're far away but I would really rocommend visiting the accommodation. I currently commute to uni but was originally planning to live in the town/city of the universities that I visited and it was my visit to the accommodation that swayed me.

I'm at Huddersfield uni and the accomodation is a nightmare because it's so far away from the town centre and you really do need a bus to get to uni each day. In fact, my friend is usually late because those buses are usually packed and she has to wait for another Although, that said, it was nice there.
    At another uni that I looked at, it felt really cramped and kind of like a prison :confused: It had really narrow, dark corridors with no natural light

You'll find mixed responses on the internet about accomodation because people have different tastes and expectations. For example, me and my mum overheard another family saying how lovely the accommodation was for the last one lol
    I didn't visit mine and it's very nice I didn't feel like travelling 250 miles down to deen :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    go to the department open day and then just walk over to the accomodation, you won't get a tour but it'll give you an idea, you might even be able to get one of the residents to let you in to look round, i didn't look round mine but i love it where i am

ReputationRep:
    I didn't, although I visited some of the Glasgow accommodation. The reason I didn't was that I was put into private halls in the city centre, and only found out about this less than two weeks before moving up here I think, so there wasn't much point in coming to look round.

ReputationRep:
    Ive applied for Liverpool but when I went on the open day I didnt see any accommodation. But as it stands Liverpool is my number one choice, I dont see quality of accommodation changing my mind. What did you think of the accommodation?

ReputationRep:
    Never visited as, like you, was too far. Just went on online reviews and photos etc and chose from that, although to be honest I chose based on price anyway, not the nicest one!

Not disappointed, don't regret not going, apart from obviously some exceptions, uni accom is of a general standard, was just as I expected when I started really!

ReputationRep:
    I didn't look at any. I don't even know if there was the chance.

But we didn't get to choose our halls anyway, so going to see some halls and hating it or loving it would be pointless because you may or may not end up there.

ReputationRep:
    Not a good idea to be asking a 15 year old

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by impossible!)

i didnt visit and in my opinion even though it was the furthest accom from uni i thought it was the best it was new had your own bathroom etc

depends what you are looking for in your accomadation don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed !

ReputationRep:
    I didn't visit, but I got my first choice and I love it so no complaints. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baula)

Which uni was the nasty accommodation in?

ReputationRep:
    I didn't, btu I read a lot on TSR before applying.
    (In the end I only had 2 options left when applying, but in my opinion, it was the best. I thought I wanted catered, but now that I'm there I see self-catered is so much easier and cheaper. You don't have to buy lunch at the cafe's every day, you don't have to be in for breakfast at 9 and dinner at 6 etc)

Go self catered (Yes, "I can't cook", thats what I thought. You'll learn the first week)

ReputationRep:
    I didn't visit my accomodation and just got all the details I needed from websites and leaflets, and I'm quite happy with my flat. I'm glad I didn't waste time and money just to go and see it.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't. Turned out fine

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.