Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A few (long) lifting and weight gain questions Watch

ReputationRep:
    Right, so I've been lurking but have a few questions to ask so made an account and popped on:

Firstly is I have been lifting for a few months now, and have seen gains, I do do squats (just switched to the front for some bonus core strength abs gains as apparently this will help) deadlifts, bench, military press, dips and both wide and narrow grip pullup/chinups.

My questions about these lifts is what I have currently been doing it Upping the weight as I go along my sets (so for example my 4th set on the bench could be 10-15kg heavier then my first set.) From what I have read would it be better to start with a warm up on a low weight then do my sets at the same weight where i am pushing hard on the last few reps on the last set?

Also I see the word "hypertrophy" thrown about a lot, from what I understand this is for weight gain and the rep range for this is 8-12, I am currently working in the 6 rep range for strength but I will consider changing if this would improve my gains. My thinking is though, surely a higher weight causes more strength and correct me if I am mistaken but an increase in strength=muscle mass, no? Or is there some secret I am missing out on? (no sarcasm)

Finally a form question, I am doing front squats, (I go to femur parallel) but comments I hear from other people are ones like "Jeeesus my abs are blasted after that" Yes. I do find front squats harder then back squats, however i'm just not getting these amazing pains or strains in my front, I feel the work being done in my core but more on my sides and back, is there something fundamentally wrong with my form or is the rest of my core simply not as strong as my abs?

One last question, I hear mixing up your exercises every month and a half or so is good, (correct, or not?) but how would one place a variation on the dead lift apart from changing from a barbell to a trap/shrug bar, and with the shrug bar I feel it becomes more or a squat but with the weight at my hips.

Sorry for the long post, hope you can answer some of my questions.

ReputationRep:
    From what I have read would it be better to start with a warm up on a low weight then do my sets at the same weight where i am pushing hard on the last few reps on the last set? Aim to be able to do about 15 - 20 reps and no more on a warm up, then aim to do 8-12 reps on your sets. This means if you can do more than 12 the weight is too light, and less than 8 is too heavy.

Or is there some secret I am missing out on? Nope if you get stronger you'll put on size, but it's best to gain strength first which is why you start with about 5 reps.

ReputationRep:
    This stuff should have been researched before you even starter working out. Sign up onto bodybuilding.com for good information.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MilkshakeSmoothie)
    One last question, I hear mixing up your exercises every month and a half or so is good, (correct, or not?) but how would one place a variation on the dead lift apart from changing from a barbell to a trap/shrug bar, and with the shrug bar I feel it becomes more or a squat but with the weight at my hips.
    There's all sorts of variations for deadlifts. Stiff-leg, Romanian, Sumo-style. They might not be as good as deadlifts but good mornings are good for hamstrings and your lower back too.

ReputationRep:
    Right, so I've been lurking but have a few questions to ask so made an account and popped on:

Firstly is I have been lifting for a few months now, and have seen gains, I do do squats (just switched to the front for some bonus core strength abs gains as apparently this will help) deadlifts, bench, military press, dips and both wide and narrow grip pullup/chinups.

My questions about these lifts is what I have currently been doing it Upping the weight as I go along my sets (so for example my 4th set on the bench could be 10-15kg heavier then my first set.) From what I have read would it be better to start with a warm up on a low weight then do my sets at the same weight where i am pushing hard on the last few reps on the last set?

Also I see the word "hypertrophy" thrown about a lot, from what I understand this is for weight gain and the rep range for this is 8-12, I am currently working in the 6 rep range for strength but I will consider changing if this would improve my gains. My thinking is though, surely a higher weight causes more strength and correct me if I am mistaken but an increase in strength=muscle mass, no? Or is there some secret I am missing out on? (no sarcasm)

Finally a form question, I am doing front squats, (I go to femur parallel) but comments I hear from other people are ones like "Jeeesus my abs are blasted after that" Yes. I do find front squats harder then back squats, however i'm just not getting these amazing pains or strains in my front, I feel the work being done in my core but more on my sides and back, is there something fundamentally wrong with my form or is the rest of my core simply not as strong as my abs?

You do not need to change lifts every month and a half. Or every ever. Complete broscience.

ReputationRep:

Ramping is pretty basic and becomes more important once you get stronger. If you're strong, you wouldn't exactly want to try and Deadlift 100+kg while cold. You'd probably injure yourself. Besides which you are stronger when you ramp/
    A reasonable warmup for a 100kg working weight on SS might be
    20x10-20
    40x5
    60x3
    80x2
    90x1
    100x5,5,5

You're sort of onto the correct answer. But a 10RM tells you more than somebody's 1RM if you're curious as to the person's size. Beginners need to focus on building up a basic foundation of strength so working on low reps is probably best
    I don't think anyone can really tell you without seeing a video but different people react quite differently to excercises
    You don't need to change excercises very often if at all on most programs. I wouldn't worry about it. There are perfectly valid reasons to do so but build up your basic lifts first. If you want to do some inclines, sumo deadlifts or whatever though, it's not exactly going to hurt your progress.
    Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't matter to much as long as you pick one method and stick with it for an extended period of time (ie; several weeks - months). There are proponents for both concepts.

You can gain strength and size across pretty much any rep range as long as you increase the amount of weight you're lifting over an extended period of time. Secondly as a beginner, you will get bigger and stronger initially irrespective of what you do. Unless you are plateauing there is little need to change your routine. Many people change their routine too often and rather from this stimulating progress it has the opposite effect.

As for strength work the higher the rep range, the more fatigue has a detrimental effect on your strength.

Deadlift variations? Conventional, sumo, romanian...There is no hard or fast rule, if it feels more like a squat and/or it's having a detrimental effect on your squat, reduce your squat or trap bar volume. On the otherhand if you feel you're not getting enough posterior chain work in supplement with romanian DLs, good mornings, hyperextensions, glute ham raises, etc.

I wouldn't worry too much about going out to 'feel the burn' or ache excessively afterwards, it has no correlation with progress. Just concentrate on getting stronger.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, right, thanks for all the replies, i'll see what I can do & hopefully I'll make a fair amount of progress over the next few months

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.