Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

he lied about his age Watch

ReputationRep:
    so I have been with my boyfried for about 8 months, and trusted him completely and utterly, he seems like the most honourable guy in the world. This afternoon, however, I absently came across something which made me question his age, and with the help of some google detective work I am now sure that he is in fact a year older than he had told me and I had always believed. There is already quite an age gap and this a) make it worse but b) and more importantly is a massive trust problem - I have never questioned anything he's told me before, we are really really close and this seems so out of character.

He is in a different country at the moment, do I raise this with him in a tactful but probing way and try to get to the bottom of things or shrug and move on. I don't want to break up over this, but at the same time feel confused and upset.

Advice?

ReputationRep:
    How did you go out with a guy for eight months without knowing how old he is?

ReputationRep:
    ask him

ReputationRep:
    It's one year.
    Get over it.

ReputationRep:
    If he's lied about his age and managed to lie succesfully about something like that then surely he could be lieing about other things or would have no problem in the future lieing? just a random thought

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DubarryGroom)
    If he's lied about his age and managed to lie succesfully about something like that then surely he could be lieing about other things or would have no problem in the future lieing? just a random thought
    yeah.
    like the ol' lie "no honey, I don't have any STDs, lets have some more unprotected sex"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCC-MGS)
    How did you go out with a guy for eight months without knowing how old he is?
    would you think someone was lying to you? What he said made perfect sense, I had no reason to be suspicious, and only worked out the truth in a very roundabout way.
    • TSR Support Team

how old is he? I am sure it won't matter.

ReputationRep:
    what? is he 15 and says hes 16, therefore making you a sexual predator?

ReputationRep:
    I'm 20, he said he was 31, he's 32...

ReputationRep:
    how did you find out in a way that isn't obvious?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by busylizzie)
    I'm 20, he said he was 31, he's 32...
    It has been 8 months, perhaps he passed another birthday. It's difficult for me to believe that he would lie by one year. As others have suggested ask him his age and find out when his birthday is.

ReputationRep:
    if he was worried about the age gap, then why did he only lie by a year?

ReputationRep:
    woow what a grandad....31 hip and cool 32 hip replacement XD oh well he's still much older than you anyway a yr doesn't really make a difference and he probably lied to make it seem he was still down with the kids lol btw does he wear his hat on backwards with low batties??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DubarryGroom)
    This is terrible logic.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe he had a birthday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyraell)
    This is terrible logic.
    And you're reasoning for this is....?

ReputationRep:
    Simply confront him about it. Like others already said, maybe his birthday had already passed? And.. well... why would he lie about one year? It's quite strange.

Trust is important in a relationship. If he's betrayed your trust, you should watch out for yourself. If he really is lying about his age, he could be lying about other things too.

ReputationRep:
    Oh good god! He's 32?!

He just damn well crossed the biggest line there is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fist of the south star)
    Oh good god! He's 32?!

He just damn well crossed the biggest line there is.
    I demand a public hanging for this evil *******! It will show all those who even try to attempt dating someone a year younger than them.

Vile, vile man.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 25, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.