Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The average person will sleep with no more than 7 people in their lifetime Watch

ReputationRep:
    I read somewhere recently that the average person will sleep with about 7 people in their lifetime. This is a pitifully low number. Only 7 people? So basically most people go through their lifetime not getting much sex then? Or they stay with the same person for a long time? I'd be thoroughly bored if I had to have sex with the same person all my life, and I'd be thoroughly unhappy if I only slept with a mere 7 people in my life.

ReputationRep:
    pfft. If you wanna sleep with more than 7 then go ahead, no one's stopping you. Better get a wife thats ok with swinging around to solve that having to spend with one for teh rest of your life. Or go get a prossie.

ReputationRep:
    Who did that statistic include? Haha don't think you can really summarise what the 'average' person sleeps with, but the majority of my friends/acquaintances reached that number when they were like 16 lol.

ReputationRep:
    Prob based on old stats, which are now incorrect. Assuming they were taken from old people near the end of their lives (how else would you know?), they'd have grown up in the 30's and 40's, so 7 sounds about right. I can't imagine the figure being the same for those who grew up in the 90's and 00's.

ReputationRep:
    Hopeully I'll be above average xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloeee!)
    Who did that statistic include? Haha don't think you can really summarise what the 'average' person sleeps with, but the majority of my friends/acquaintances reached that number when they were like 16 lol.
    Crikey! That's a high number for people aged 16!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KissMyArtichoke)
    Prob based on old stats, which are now incorrect. Assuming they were taken from old people near the end of their lives (how else would you know?), they'd have grown up in the 30's and 40's, so 7 sounds about right. I can't imagine the figure being the same for those who grew up in the 90's and 00's.
    No, people who grew up in that era (30s and 40s) married someone and stayed together for life as casual sex/sex outside marriage was frowned upon then, so they probably had sex with 1 or 2 at most in their life.

Given how many problems people on here have with the opposite sex, I don't think people are having as much sex as they'd like. So I think 7 is actually a high number for some. Most people won't even shag that many people.

ReputationRep:
    Wow.

I am exactly Average...

I need to have an affair...

ReputationRep:
    Considering my current sleeping with people/per year, I'd say that's about right!

Edit: Imagine a graph depicting this statistic, you can clearly see a large jump once the subject reaches 16 and then perhaps a smaller jump once they reach 18 and then a lesser degrade until they finally reach 27+ and marry.

ReputationRep:
    Ideally I would have preferred to only have one sexual partner, though as it happens it's unfortunately a little late for me to claim that is actually the case... but never mind you live and learn. Anyway the point is that some people don't want to sleep around. Seven may be an average but that doesn't give you any idea about the range. If you want to have sex with 300 people then do so. I'm sure you won't make a huge impact on worldwide statistics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saccharine Sour)
    Hopeully I'll be above average xD
    ****. /sarcasm off

ReputationRep:
    Well the units for the LAD spectrum are number of girls slept with. I'm not surprised a lot of people are saying this is a low number, no one can be considered a LAD with figures that low.

ReputationRep:
    TBH I don't I think there'd be a big divide where a lot of people will only sleep with 1 or 2 people in their life and then there's others that sleep with over 15 or so. Assuming it's an older statistic the former would've averaged the later so that you get 7.
    I think it's pretty low personally, but then again I think any figure I'd find to be low for some reason...
    EMZ=]

ReputationRep:
    Only 7 people? So basically most people go through their lifetime not getting much sex then?
    How do you figure that? Do most people you sleep with not fancy seconds then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Victor-PP)
    ****. /sarcasm off
    Do you have a problem with girls enjoying sex?

ReputationRep:
    An average will take into account people born before 1960 as well as people born after 1980. It's misleading to use that average, as different age groups will have different averages within themselves (i.e. someone born in the 1940's is less likely to have a high number of sexual partners than someone born in the 1990's).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saccharine Sour)
    Do you have a problem with girls enjoying sex?
    Do you have a problem with understanding the meaning of 'sarcasm'?

ReputationRep:
    [Man] ****s and increasing openness and relaxed attitudes to sex in society.

Versus:

Those who abstain for religious and/or cultural reasons, those who marry and commit early and those who are desperately unsuccessful in their sex appeal.

Having named the teams I'd say that number is about fair tbh. It will be higher for this generation though I'm sure.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Quality not quantity, quality not quantity. Though I suppose that while for guys, any hole's a goal, girls sometimes have the misfortune of landing a guy with a small/average ****. I'd much rather 7, or even less, quality 'notches'.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 26, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.