Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, hope you all had a very nice Xmas! I did, despite being told that I wasn't going to be getting a lot, which I was fine with. Then I find I got an iPhone, which was a mega surprise! But I'm mixed up with how it all works.

So currently I have a Blackberry curve on a 24 month contract with Orange with unlimited texts and so much internet usage. I was wondering if it's possible to simply put my SIM card into the iPhone and be able to use the internet and apps as usual when I'm not in a wi-fi zone? I heard somewhere that apparently to use the internet you need to be on O2 cos it goes through an O2 software or something Would I have to switch network to get it to work?

Cheers Have a happy new years!

ReputationRep:
    i got an iphone 4 today too
    bu for the iphone you need a micro sim, so your blackberry sim won't fit into it unfortunately! i'm sure your able to order a micro sim from your network provider with the same contract!

merry xmas btw!

ReputationRep:
    Micro SIM? I took my SIM card out my blackberry and put it in the iphone and it fit perfectly in the little tray :P Do you mean the little memory card thingy?

And congrats on the iphone x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    3GS?
    Yeah, 3GS. Is it not supposed to fit a normal SIM like? :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steviexh)
    i got an iphone 4 today too
    bu for the iphone you need a micro sim, so your blackberry sim won't fit into it unfortunately! i'm sure your able to order a micro sim from your network provider with the same contract!

merry xmas btw!
    You don't have to, you can just cut your sim card and get it in the iphone. There are templates on the web...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    The iPhone 4 uses a smaller SIM, 3GS is normal.

There is no such thing as this O2 stuff you are talking about. If your current contract supplies you with a mobile data allowance then you will be able to use it simply by putting your SIM into the iPhone.
    Super! I'll turn my house wireless off and see if it can function on it's own.

I'm tempted to return it because I've been wanting an SLR camera for proper ages! What are the chances I'll end up falling in love with this thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnthonyShock)
    Super! I'll turn my house wireless off and see if it can function on it's own.

I'm tempted to return it because I've been wanting an SLR camera for proper ages! What are the chances I'll end up falling in love with this thing?
    If you've not used iOS before then you'll probably fall in love with it...until you discover Android. :mmm:

You don't have to turn off the wireless in your house...just turn off the wireless on your phone.

ReputationRep:
    This is not helpful, but I'm getting MY Iphone the 29th! I'm quite worried about setting it up etc coz its not on contract...I'm not sure about which network I should join...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Comeheretellme)
    This is not helpfull, but I'm getting MY Iphone the 29th! I'm quite worried about setting it up etc coz its not on contract...I'm not sure about which network
    It's pretty easy to set up.

You're getting a contract and a phone separately or something?

ReputationRep:
    Whats so much internet usage in your terms?

Cos the iPhone uses alot of data allowance, when I had one, I went over my data like mad, but thats because I didn't change my contract (had a BB Bold before that).

Congrats tho.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigmo7)
    It's pretty easy to set up.

You're getting a contract and a phone separately or something?
    Oh goodness...that typo I made is horrifying !

Nope, no contract. My Dad just sent it to me without contract, and I dont want to ask him too many questions about it, until I get it! But I'll take your word for it...It will be a breeze!

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, hope you all had a very nice Xmas! I did, despite being told that I wasn't going to be getting a lot, which I was fine with. Then I find I got an iPhone, which was a mega surprise! But I'm mixed up with how it all works.

So currently I have a Blackberry curve on a 24 month contract with Orange with unlimited texts and so much internet usage. I was wondering if it's possible to simply put my SIM card into the iPhone and be able to use the internet and apps as usual when I'm not in a wi-fi zone? I heard somewhere that apparently to use the internet you need to be on O2 cos it goes through an O2 software or something Would I have to switch network to get it to work?

OH! i just posted a thread asking about the exact same thing!
    Wondering whether i'd get charged to use the internet on my contract on an iphone

ReputationRep:

You should phone Orange soon and get them to change you to an iPhone contract - whilst the phone will work on a BlackBerry contract, it's not the same and some settings are different.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.