Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Read the book or watch the film first? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I got given the God Father books 1-3 today for an xmas present. But I was wondering whether or not I should watch the films first?

I did intend to watch the films at one point but I think I got bored - which is quite rare. I am more of a book worm than a film fanatic, however.

ReputationRep:
    Are you interested by Italian culture and the history of the Mafia?

I've never read the books but the films are epic, they were the Lawrence of Arabia's and Ben Hur's of the 70's.

ReputationRep:
    The films are faster.
    But, the films are confusing and you have to watch them several times sometimes to understand them. So either watch (fast) and be confused or read (slow) and understand

ReputationRep:
    Not sure about the godfather specifically but i find in general its better to watch a film first then read otherwise you watch the film thinking that wasnt in the book ect

ReputationRep:
    Read the book first, imo. I recently watched A Scanner Darkly by P.K.**** and then read the book, at the end of the novel I certainly wished I had read the book first!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thepomster)
    Not sure about the godfather specifically but i find in general its better to watch a film first then read otherwise you watch the film thinking that wasnt in the book ect
    I know what you mean but I like to do it the other way around. I like to have the chance to build up all the imagery myself through reading and then experience someone else's interpretation afterwards.

Can't comment on the godfather though I've heard the films are fantastic.

ReputationRep:
    Read the book first.
    If you watch the film first then you could have wrong ideas.

ReputationRep:
    i think read the book first.

ReputationRep:
    Generally read the book... the film is usually a dumbed down version that'll spoil the book.

can't comment on the godfather cos I've only seen the films.

I did read the book after seeing the film Bladerunner and it wasn't spoiled for me... almost a different story imo.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.