Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Views on this custom build pc Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Custom built gaming pc from cyberpowersystems.

I have a budget of around £600 - but this has to include a 22" monitor.

The spec does include xxx overclocking from them which is 20% min and 30% max on any component that has xxx overclockable written next to it.

Any component worth improving on?

Here is the spec:

CASE:
    Thermaltake V3 Black Mid-Tower Case

Extra Case Fan Upgrade:
    Maximum Case Cooling Fans for your selected case

CPU:
    Intel® Core™ i3 540 3.06GHZ 4MB L3 Cache LGA1156

Overclocking Service:
    XXX Overclocking (CPU Extreme overclock: guaranteed min. 20%, max. 30%.)

Cooling Fan:
    Coolermaster Hyper TX3 with 3 x Direct Contact heat-pipes CPU

MOTHERBOARD:
    Asus P7H55-M Intel H55 Chipset DDR3 LGA1156 mATX w/Onboard Graphic, HDMI, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, HDMI, USB2.0, SATA-II, 1 Gen2 PCIe 16x & 2 PCI-e, 1x PCI

MEMORY:
    4GB (2x2GB) PC10666 DDR3/1333mhz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Value Select or Major Brand)

VIDEO CARD:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 1GB 16X PCI Express [+35] (Major Brand Power by NVIDIA)

Power Supply Upgrade:
    600 Watts Power Supplies [+12] (CyberPowerPC 600W Quiet Power Supply)

Hard Drive:
    1TB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16M Cache Hard Drive (Single Hard Drive)

Optical Drive:
    24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE

LCD Monitor:
    22" TFT Active Matrix LCD Display (LG E2240S-PN 22" 5MS 1920x1080 LED WIDE Monitor)

Operating System:
    Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium (64-bit Edition)

WARRANTY SERVICE:
    STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT

Thanks,

ReputationRep:
    Better cpu.

ReputationRep:
    People of TSR don't need to read all that crap, so first i'll clean up the copy and paste job;
    CASE: Thermaltake V3 Black Mid-Tower Case
    Extra Case Fan Upgrade: Maximum Case Cooling Fans for your selected case
    CPU: Intel® Core™ i3 540 3.06GHZ 4MB L3 Cache LGA1156
    Overclocking Service: XXX Overclocking (CPU Extreme overclock: guaranteed min. 20%, max. 30%.)
    Cooling Fan: Coolermaster Hyper TX3 with 3 x Direct Contact heat-pipes CPU
    MOTHERBOARD: Asus P7H55-M Intel H55 Chipset DDR3 LGA1156 mATX w/ Onboard Graphic, HDMI, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, HDMI, USB2.0, SATA-II, 1 Gen2 PCIe 16x & 2 PCI-e, 1x PCI
    MEMORY: 4GB (2x2GB) PC10666 DDR3/1333mhz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Value Select or Major Brand)
    VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 1GB 16X PCI Express [+35] (Major Brand Power by NVIDIA)
    Power Supply Upgrade: 600 Watts Power Supplies [+12] (CyberPowerPC 600W Quiet Power Supply)
    Hard Drive: 1TB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16M Cache Hard Drive (Single Hard Drive)
    Optical Drive: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE
    LCD Monitor: 22" TFT Active Matrix LCD Display (LG E2240S-PN 22" 5MS 1920x1080 LED WIDE Monitor)
    Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium (64-bit Edition)
    WARRANTY SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT

ReputationRep:
    I'll go 1up.

(Original post by KissMyArtichoke)
    x

CASE:

Extra Case Fan Upgrade:

CPU:

Overclocking Service:

Cooling Fan:

MOTHERBOARD:
    Asus P7H55-M Intel H55 Chipset DDR3 LGA1156 mATX w/Onboard Graphic, HDMI, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, HDMI, USB2.0, SATA-II, 1 Gen2 PCIe 16x & 2 PCI-e, 1x PCI

MEMORY:
    4GB (2x2GB) PC10666 DDR3/1333mhz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Value Select or Major Brand)

VIDEO CARD:

Power Supply Upgrade:

Hard Drive:

Optical Drive:

LCD Monitor:
    22" TFT Active Matrix LCD Display (LG E2240S-PN 22" 5MS 1920x1080 LED WIDE Monitor)

Operating System:

WARRANTY SERVICE:

ReputationRep:
    Fixed up the original post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wesssty)
    Better cpu.
    I was more worried about the GPU not meeting demanding game requirements, is the CPU really bad?

ReputationRep:
    right, with that out the way, I'll comment. First of all, I really think you should build this yourself. These custom websites are fine, and often offer a decent price, but you'll get massive satisfaction from building your own and you'll get to know it intimately rather than being scared to open the case. Don't be put off by thinking it's too hard, a decent online forum and a few videos will build up your confidence.
    Preaching over, here's my view;
    -case is as good as any.
    -fans are always a good idea.
    -CPU isn't great, with that budget you should be looking at a high end i5, easily.
    -Are you paying for overclocking? You shouldn't be, it's so easy.
    -I seem to remember that heat sink was decent for the price.
    -Mobo looks OK, i'll go with gigabyte in the future having had bad experiences with ASUS (case on/off button doesn't work properly), but in general ASUS is fine. I don't know a lot about mobos though, so maybe someone else should comment.
    -RAM is decent (same as me)
    -GPU is poor, if you plan to game, look at a radeon HD 4870, they offer great value for money now. (love those cards, I have 3 now )
    -No idea if that PSU is good, normally i'd go for a better brand like corsair. Bad PSU's are really not good, look to spend at least £50 for a 500W (you prob don't need 600W since you can't expand to have a second GPU)
    -HDD is ok but look for one with 32M cache, the samsung spinpoint F3 is amazing value. You might also consider having 2 500GB HDD's instead, depending on if you store a lot of media (1 for OS and programs, 1 for pics/ videos/ music)
    -Any dvd burner is fine for almost everyone. Go as cheap as you can.
    -Decent enough monitor
    -Good choice of OS (same as me)
    -You might think a warranty is important, but most parts come with their own warranty anyway, and the expertise you'll get from building it yourself will allow you to fix most problems cheaply anyway. It really would be a good idea.

Hope this helps, i'm off to eat mince pies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KissMyArtichoke)
    right, with that out the way, I'll comment. First of all, I really think you should build this yourself. These custom websites are fine, and often offer a decent price, but you'll get massive satisfaction from building your own and you'll get to know it intimately rather than being scared to open the case. Don't be put off by thinking it's too hard, a decent online forum and a few videos will build up your confidence.
    Preaching over, here's my view;
    -case is as good as any.
    -fans are always a good idea.
    -CPU isn't great, with that budget you should be looking at a high end i5, easily.
    -Are you paying for overclocking? You shouldn't be, it's so easy.
    -I seem to remember that heat sink was decent for the price.
    -Mobo looks OK, i'll go with gigabyte in the future having had bad experiences with ASUS (case on/off button doesn't work properly), but in general ASUS is fine. I don't know a lot about mobos though, so maybe someone else should comment.
    -RAM is decent (same as me)
    -GPU is poor, if you plan to game, look at a radeon HD 4870, they offer great value for money now. (love those cards, I have 3 now )
    -No idea if that PSU is good, normally i'd go for a better brand like corsair. Bad PSU's are really not good, look to spend at least £50 for a 500W (you prob don't need 600W since you can't expand to have a second GPU)
    -HDD is ok but look for one with 32M cache, the samsung spinpoint F3 is amazing value. You might also consider having 2 500GB HDD's instead, depending on if you store a lot of media (1 for OS and programs, 1 for pics/ videos/ music)
    -Any dvd burner is fine for almost everyone. Go as cheap as you can.
    -Decent enough monitor
    -Good choice of OS (same as me)
    -You might think a warranty is important, but most parts come with their own warranty anyway, and the expertise you'll get from building it yourself will allow you to fix most problems cheaply anyway. It really would be a good idea.

Hope this helps, i'm off to eat mince pies
    Appreciate the advise.

I will consider building it myself if it does work out to be cheaper, otherwise don't really see it being worth the hassle.

The overclocking is free, special offer they have going on at the moment.

As for better CPU and GPU, can you recommend any that won't fly over my budget? I heard the GPU that i chose is capable of running most games, and as for high end i5 not sure it will fit my budget especially as it has to include the 22" monitor.

ReputationRep:
    You haven't actually said how much the total bill for that list is.
    At a push, you could get worse RAM, maybe DDR2, possibly only get a single 2GB stick and buy a second when you can afford it, although I wouldn't reccomend this.
    Do you really need 22"? Remember, the bigger the monitor the worse performance you get in games (assuming you run at the native resolution).
    AMD might be cheaper, perhaps a phenom II x2? (quad core isn't entirely important for gaming so a fast dual is OK for a tight budget). Intel tends to be more pricey I think, even if it is better at the ultra-high end.
    As I have said, the Radeon HD 4870 is a solid card (1GB for 22", 512MB is prob ok for 20" or less). Look on ebay for used ones, you can often find them very cheaply. Second hand components aren't at all bad if they're cared for.
    Again, the F3 is a briliant value HDD which will improve on that and might save you some money.
    I'll have a look tomorrow and see what I can fit into your price range.

ReputationRep:
    I had a quick look this morning, and I reckon if you use one of dabs' motherboard/CPU/RAM bundles and a 2nd hand GPU, you could do it for just under £500, leaving you £100 to pick up a monitor, which shouldn't be too hard in the January sales. I'll sort you out a proper shopping list when I have the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Just_another_student)
    Hi,

Custom built gaming pc from cyberpowersystems.

I have a budget of around £600 - but this has to include a 22" monitor.

The spec does include xxx overclocking from them which is 20% min and 30% max on any component that has xxx overclockable written next to it.

Any component worth improving on?

Here is the spec:

CASE:

Extra Case Fan Upgrade:

CPU:

Overclocking Service:

Cooling Fan:

MOTHERBOARD:

MEMORY:

VIDEO CARD:

Power Supply Upgrade:

Hard Drive:

Optical Drive:

LCD Monitor:

Operating System:

WARRANTY SERVICE:

Thanks,
    sweet jesus don't buy intel unless you ENJOY being conned :|

ReputationRep:
    or nvidia for that matter
    trust me ATI and AMD do such a better value for money job. also the motherboards with the right chipsets are far cheaper than the intel ones

ReputationRep:

This is from ebuyer, some things will be cheaper elsewhere so look around. You could fit a quad core CPU in if you get the other components cheaper (eg, get two of these RAM modules), the graphics card can be had for less too.

ReputationRep:
    What Artichoke says is right, however it's not the size of the monitor that matters in relation to how difficult it is to drive the graphics; it's the resolution.
    The 4870 is an ok card, however it is incredibly power hungry and not many places stock it. Try for the 5850 or the GTX 460. The latter is more power efficient, but slightly more pricey (depending on which variation you buy, the Sonic Platinum/FTW versions could attain GTX 470 performance and still beat it on power/noise)
    The 450 GTS is crap, end of. It'll run games but at low resolutions and at mediocre settings.
    Intel at this price range is not in reach, especially not the high end i5. If your budget is £600, you're looking to spend £450 on the tower, £500 if you're happy with a crap monitor. AMD is your best option. If you can find the 555BE you have a chance of unlocking the 2 dormant cores. However this isn't a assured method of obtaining a quad core. Most games will run on 2 cores pretty dandy, however some are able to take advantage of multiple cores. These games are few and far between, what games are you looking to play?

This lot is from Overclockers, try looking on Scan, eBuyer, Aria etc for these parts.

I've put in a good 880G mobo so that you can use it for upgrades, it'll support the new AMD chips (may need a BIOS flash though). The PSU is a decent 500W, if you don't mind spending just a little bit more get a Corsair 650TX. You could then have an upgrade path in place for an extra 5850 for CF and a more powerful CPU in the future.

Word of warning be careful with the Samsung F3 1TB, they also do a 5900RPM version. Look for the 7200RPM version.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by guitarmike456)
    or nvidia for that matter
    trust me ATI and AMD do such a better value for money job. also the motherboards with the right chipsets are far cheaper than the intel ones
    Fair enough.

If i was to build it myself, which i am inclining to do so then i most definetly would chose an AMD processor such as the x2 555 BE. But, as for GPU what is your take on the gtx 460, as opposed to a 5770?

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough.

If i was to build it myself, which i am inclining to do so then i most definetly would chose an AMD processor such as the x2 555 BE. But, as for GPU what is your take on the gtx 460, as opposed to a 5770?
    The 460 is quite a bit better than the 5770. For 1920x1080 I'd definitely go for a 460.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    What Artichoke says is right, however it's not the size of the monitor that matters in relation to how difficult it is to drive the graphics; it's the resolution.
    The 4870 is an ok card, however it is incredibly power hungry and not many places stock it. Try for the 5850 or the GTX 460. The latter is more power efficient, but slightly more pricey (depending on which variation you buy, the Sonic Platinum/FTW versions could attain GTX 470 performance and still beat it on power/noise)
    The 450 GTS is crap, end of. It'll run games but at low resolutions and at mediocre settings.
    Intel at this price range is not in reach, especially not the high end i5. If your budget is £600, you're looking to spend £450 on the tower, £500 if you're happy with a crap monitor. AMD is your best option. If you can find the 555BE you have a chance of unlocking the 2 dormant cores. However this isn't a assured method of obtaining a quad core. Most games will run on 2 cores pretty dandy, however some are able to take advantage of multiple cores. These games are few and far between, what games are you looking to play?

This lot is from Overclockers, try looking on Scan, eBuyer, Aria etc for these parts.

I've put in a good 880G mobo so that you can use it for upgrades, it'll support the new AMD chips (may need a BIOS flash though). The PSU is a decent 500W, if you don't mind spending just a little bit more get a Corsair 650TX. You could then have an upgrade path in place for an extra 5850 for CF and a more powerful CPU in the future.

Word of warning be careful with the Samsung F3 1TB, they also do a 5900RPM version. Look for the 7200RPM version.
    Looking to play games like COD, Grid, Fifa, NFS and so on...

The budget (£600) has to include a monitor (22" preferably).

How good is the 555 BE, alot of people have recommended but I personally feel that it maybe be abit outdated to play the demanding games that I have listed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somebody else)
    The 460 is quite a bit better than the 5770. For 1920x1080 I'd definitely go for a 460.
    They are quite similarily priced, right? If so then that should be an easy pick.

ReputationRep:
    Looking to play games like COD, Grid, Fifa, NFS and so on...

The budget (£600) has to include a monitor (22" preferably).

How good is the 555 BE, alot of people have recommended but I personally feel that it maybe be abit outdated to play the demanding games that I have listed.
    It'll be fine for most games. Some (battlefield BC2, for example) need a quad core to run well at high settings, but for the games you've listed the dual core will be good enough. There's also a chance you can unlock a core or two with the phenom IIX2, as the chip itself is the same as the quad.
    They are quite similarily priced, right? If so then that should be an easy pick.
    There tends to be £20ish between them, but it's worth it IMO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somebody else)
    It'll be fine for most games. Some (battlefield BC2, for example) need a quad core to run well at high settings, but for the games you've listed the dual core will be good enough. There's also a chance you can unlock a core or two with the phenom IIX2, as the chip itself is the same as the quad.

There tends to be £20ish between them, but it's worth it IMO.
    Cheers for your help.

Just regarding the original post, what is your take on the build from cyberpowersystems? I know i3 540 isn't the greatest, but they do overclock it to 4.0 GHz which is quite impressive. Also, the monitor is LED so better picture quality? It also includes windows 7 which is around £75 i think and a 3 year warranty.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 5, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.