Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A2 Coursework (Edexcel) Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone

I'm in the process of planning the first part of my coursework (for the Edexcel spec). I'm doing CW 24: Medicine in Britain c1870 - c1990. At the moment I'm thinking of using the following questions (based on example 3 of the suggested areas of enquiry):

• Part A - What, in your view, was the short-term significance of The National Health Service Act 1946 in transforming approaches to medical treatment and surgery?
    • Part B - In considering the process of change in the approaches to medical treatment and surgery over the whole period 1870 - 1990, how far can The National Health Service Act 1946 be seen as a key turning point?

My main concern is whether or not focusing on The National Health Service Act 1946 will give enough scope for part B. Additionally, for part A, I am thinking about how much knowledge of the situation before 1946 should play in assessing the Act's impact and the difference that it made.

Any feedback appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Also, the spec says that the coursework programme must be based on the following four points:

1. Improvement in medicine and surgery in the late 19th century.
    2. The impact of war on treatment to 1945
    3. Government policies and their influence on provision in the 20th century
    4. The impact of developments in science and technology on approaches to surgery and medical treatment.

My question is likely to focus on Government policies and their influence on provision in the 20th century, although the impact of war, and developments and improvements in medicine, surgery and technology are likely to be mentioned to a certain extent. Do these points need an equal amount of coverage in the coursework?

Again, any advice appreciated.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.