Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Boyfriend stopped saying "I love you" Watch

the last time he said it was about a month ago.. we haven't argued or anything like that, that's why i'm confused
    i say i love him regularly, and lately his responces have been an uhu (if on the phone) or a smiley face/ignore on chat

what to do? don't want to appear clingy

ReputationRep:
    "You say it best, when you say nothing at all".

Spoiler:
    Show
    or he's stopped loving you

ReputationRep:
    Did he say it a lot before?
    Maybe you should stop saying it too, or ask him about it...

thing is, his other behaviour hasn't changed
    still calls me cute names, initiates conversation etc..

(Original post by alissasantiago)
    Did he say it a lot before?
    Maybe you should stop saying it too, or ask him about it...
    yes, almost every day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    yes, almost every day
    Maybe just ask him about it? If you ask in a non-neurotic, way, I don't think you'll come across as clingy...

ReputationRep:
    ouch..
    -he used to say it everyday before
    -he still calls you cute names just not "Ilove you"
    -you haven't argued or had a change in your relationship
    -nothing major bad in his life to drop his mood..

it's not looking good

ReputationRep:
    Maybe he felt he said it too much and it became meaningless each time?

ReputationRep:
    He's a boy, he probably doesn't even realise he doesn't say it but his other behaviour hasnt changed so I think you're fine

ReputationRep:
    thing is, his other behaviour hasn't changed
    still calls me cute names, initiates conversation etc..
    If you see an expression of scorn on his face, run away. Otherwise you could just wait or discuss the matter. The fact is that subconscious reactions often precede thoughts hence he could have lost the feelings of love towards you but continues to express more shallow expressions such as cute names.

(Original post by DubarryGroom)
    He's a boy, he probably doesn't even realise he doesn't say it but his other behaviour hasnt changed so I think you're fine
    yes, but an "uhu" response, instead of "me too" or something along the lines of? just as short

we're in an LDR and i'm visiting him tomorrow for a couple of weeks... gah

ReputationRep:
    He might not love you, he might double love you! Dont worry. If your worried ask him.

(Original post by Life_peer)
    If you see an expression of scorn on his face, run away. Otherwise you could just wait or discuss the matter. The fact is that subconscious reactions often precede thoughts hence he could have lost the feelings of love towards you but continues to express more shallow expressions such as cute names.
    he's changed shifts at work to see me, looked up films we could watch.. we've had more dirty talk than before
    i'm just afraid the only thing left for him is lust

(Original post by Life_peer)
    how long do you think i should wait when i see him in person before i mention it? (supposing he still doesn't say it)

ReputationRep:
    "Uh-huh" is a weird response to an "i love you", I'd be a bit worried if i were you... Maybe try not saying it as much as before, and see where he goes from there (if he even notices it)?

ReputationRep:
    he's changed shifts at work to see me, looked up films we could watch.. we've had more dirty talk than before
    i'm just afraid the only thing left for him is lust
    You have correctly mentioned lust, which could be the reason for keeping up the relationship even if he does realise that the feeling is not love anymore. I do not know him, but let us doubt that he is using you. It seems not likely to be the case. Some people do not end relationships because they realise that it has been already too long just to put it behind and do not ever look back. This causes the time for the breakup to lengthen, but if there is no fresh impulse of love, the result is undeniable from the first moment.

how long do you think i should wait when i see him in person before i mention it? (supposing he still doesn't say it)
    I think that it depends on the situation. I recommend you to read some articles or even books, if you have enough time, about body language those could help you with spotting minor subconscious signals. Then if you feel that he shows negative attitude towards you, the time would be just right, because you do not want a positive answer at all costs, but a truthful one. The point is to make him familiar with his feeling on a conscious level so that he could respond verbally. The time is ideal because the more he feels aloof, the more he realises it.

Anyway, I am sorry to say this, but the signs that you have mentioned do not seem to be very positive for your relationship.

ReputationRep:
    omg...
    boyfriend stopped saying I love you
    dump dump dump

(Original post by Theconomist)
    omg...
    boyfriend stopped saying I love you
    dump dump dump
    baharr
    witty

ReputationRep:
    How does he react when you say it face to face?

That's because he doesn't you ****

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 25, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.