Enrichment:

Citrical thinking
Latin
Ancient Greek
Youth enterprise

looking to do law at uni(russell group)

Just want to hear some thoughts

many thanks

Don't let other people put you off, if you feel you can cope with the work load, go for it.
Reply 3
Nope. No thoughts at all.
I think you'd be better off doing 4 subjects and one option from the enrichment and getting really good grades, rather than 5 or 6 subjects and getting okay-ish grades.

I'm not trying to make your mind up for you but think about it carefully, you don't want to put too much pressure on yourself. If you start out with 5 or 6 subjects and find it too hard, just drop one or two during the first few weeks or so.
Original post by Lawlet
Thinking of doing:

Maths
Physics
Chemistry
Economics
Chinese
(allow one more)- either biology, further maths or modern history

Enrichment:

Citrical thinking
Latin
Ancient Greek
Youth enterprise

looking to do law at uni(russell group)

many thanks

If I were in that position, I would do:

Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Modern History + Latin + Law further reading.

But what you should do depends on your strengths and whether you can manage the workload and get the top grades as well.
Reply 6
Think about why you actually want to to 5-6 a'levels - do you genuinely love all these subjects and think you can cope with the workload or do you just want to make a strong uni application?

Bear in mind that most people do 3-4 full A'Levels, so the course content is set accordingly with how much students can reasonably manage. Unis ALWAYS prefer better grades rather than mediocre grades in lots of subjects, and most would only really look at 3/4 subjects.
Applying for law without any essay based subjects?

take out one/two science(s) and replace with one or both of a history and English literature.
IMHO.

As for A level quantity... if you want to take 6 full A levels I have no doubt you are capable of doing so, and of getting straight A/A*s (if you weren't, you wouldn't be considering it); be aware, though, that it will be massively time consuming. Personally, I think you should take one A level off and replace it with an EPQ based on the subject. This would go a lot further to show your drive/interest.

edit: language \rightarrow literature.
(edited 13 years ago)
The A-Levels seem fine (Further Maths would compliment the Mathematics A-Level nicely). Although for a Law degree, you may want to look at History/English Literature as one of your A-Levels - Further Maths isn't necessarily a requirement for Law, you would be favoured for doing an essay based subject instead.

*Critical Thinking would be a nice last choice, as well.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Applying for law without any essay based subjects?

take out one/two science(s) and replace with one or both of a history and English language.
IMHO.

Soft A-Level alert.
Original post by Mr Inquisitive
Soft A-Level alert.

I know, it was a slip up. I meant to say lit.
Corrected.
My humble apologies.
Reply 11
what is EPQ and law further reading ?

I'm doing chinese A level because am a native speaker, so i am confident i can get at an A, if not A*.

i love maths, physics and chemistry, as for economics it is something i have general interest in but if i don't like the course i will drop it within a few weeks.

I looked at the course for english lit and i dislike it, but modern history does interest me, well except from the holocaust part.
Soft A-Level alert.

I hate it when people say that :rolleyes:
The head of admission at UCL told me English Language was not at all soft, and is often more suited to analytical subjects at degree level.
Anyone can memorise reams and reams of beaulocques on a poem and vomit it back up in an exam in a mildly concise fashion. It takes a sharp, methodical mind to succeed at English language.

... and hey, when you're doing a combo of heavy subjects, it's nice to have 1 relaxing one you're guaranteed a good mark in; that's intelligence, playing your cards right, not bolting down all the equations you can :biggrin:
Original post by Sabrinified
I hate it when people say that :rolleyes:
The head of admission at UCL told me English Language was not at all soft, and is often more suited to analytical subjects at degree level.
Anyone can memorise reams and reams of beaulocques on a poem and vomit it back up in an exam in a mildly concise fashion. It takes a sharp, methodical mind to succeed at English language.

... and hey, when you're doing a combo of heavy subjects, it's nice to have 1 relaxing one you're guaranteed a good mark in; that's intelligence, playing your cards right, not bolting down all the equations you can :biggrin:

I strongly disagree; it's widely classified as 'soft', so the opinion of one person from one university doesn't really possess the weight to reclassify it.

In fact, why don't we all just take English Language and then take Lady Gaga studies or Media Studies at De Montfort.
Reply 14
if you remember everything about a poem they teaches you, that's standard input, you need your own personal input. That is what got me an A in eng lit, but i lacked the language analysis to get that A* according to my teacher, as for language, for gsce, as long as you pick up all mark on the media analysis and score relatively high on section B then you will an A*

Not sure about A level though

This is base on my mock exam i did 3 weeks ago
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 15
I strongly disagree; it's widely classified as 'soft', so the opinion of one person from one university doesn't really possess the weight to reclassify it.

In fact, why don't we all just take English Language and then take Lady Gaga studies or Media Studies at De Montfort.

I would rather take Madonna study tbh
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Lawlet
I would rather take Mandonna study tbh

This makes me worry about you considering English A-Level altogether.

Wow. That's incredibly bigoted.
I can't argue with the fact that it's largely taken by cretins, but that's only because the educational system has made it that way, not because it's a soft subject.
Anyone with a knowledge of the course (who's also brave enough to look past some of the Barbies studying it!) would strongly disagree.
Reply 18
This makes me worry about you considering English A-Level altogether.

i don't know whether you realize or not, i was just carrying on the joke, i will never in a million year take any 'studies' subjects.
Reply 19
Original post by Lawlet

Enjoy being a virgin!!!

Quick Reply

Latest