Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys,

Basically I love modernist literature and authors like F. Scott Fitzgerald and Richard Yates and my favourite novel is The Great Gatsby.

Can anyone suggest some novels of a similar genre or similar to The Great Gatsby etc?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Read Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk

ReputationRep:
    Kamasutra

James Joyce - Finnegan's Wake.

That should be challenging for you.

ReputationRep:
      have you read Catcher in the Rye? i always associate the two hah. I prefer it to the Great Gatsby but maybe that's just cause I have to study GG for lit.

ReputationRep:
      Kitchen - Banana Yoshimoto
      For whom the bell tolls - Ernest Hemingway
      Birdsong - Sebastian Faulks

All of them memorable and worthy reads. :love:

ReputationRep:
      Catcher In the Rye, definitely. Or, if you like Fitzgerald, you should probably try some Hemingway.

ReputationRep:
      These are old, But amazing,
      Great Expectations
      Wuthering Heights!!

Both books are amazing and memorable:cool:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Uel369)
      Hey Guys,

Basically I love modernist literature and authors like F. Scott Fitzgerald and Richard Yates and my favourite novel is The Great Gatsby.

Can anyone suggest some novels of a similar genre or similar to The Great Gatsby etc?

Thanks
      the Great Gatsby awesome book . read the short story by Fitzgerald - Curious Case of Benjamin Button. or if you want a really good read Paradise Lost. I've just got Brave New World by Aldous Huxley looking forward to reading that

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by tesha_al)
      the Great Gatsby awesome book . read the short story by Fitzgerald - Curious Case of Benjamin Button. or if you want a really good read Paradise Lost. I've just got Brave New World by Aldous Huxley looking forward to reading that
      Brave new world is really good, if slightly disturbing, have you ever tried any doris lessing?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Uel369)
      Hey Guys,

Thanks
      Not really an answer to your actual question, but read The Periodic Table, by Primo Levi if you haven't already, sorry for not actually answering your question but the GG is a great book!

ReputationRep:
      The Elder Scrolls book based on future events of Oblivion or the Fable book about the Balverines!

ReputationRep:
      Washington Square Henry James
      Passage to India EM Forester
      Heat and Dust R Jhabwala
      perhaps The Mill on the Floss by G Elliott

all amazing

ReputationRep:
      What about Tender Is the Night by Fitzgerald?
      Farewell to Arms/For Whom the Bell Tolls - Hemingway
      To the Lighthouse/Mrs Dalloway - Woolf
      some Joyce, but maybe start with something lighter than FW
      Passage to India/Room With A View - Forster
      Brideshead Revisited - Waugh
      As I Lay Dying - Faulkner
      Heart of Darkness - Conrad (then you can join the book club lol!)
      The Road - Cormac McCarthy (just cos I love it )
      Birdsong - Sebastian Faulks
      Captain Corelli's Mandolin (just finished it )

Just for starters! I'm sure there are much better suggestions but that's what I initially thought of

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by strainerkid)
      Brave new world is really good, if slightly disturbing, have you ever tried any doris lessing?
      ooh disturbing my cup of tea...nope i haven't but it will go in my list she's a female author so that's even better

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by tesha_al)
      ooh disturbing my cup of tea...nope i haven't but it will go in my list she's a female author so that's even better
      read shikasta and the other canopus in argos books by her, they are a bit sci-fi, but thats not what they are about, so don't be put off by the sci-fi (but if you like it, great!)

ReputationRep:
      Try some Saul Bellow or Phillip Roth, if you like American literature.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.