Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How can i achieve my DREAM JOB, right now im empty?.. please help watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey People,

I dont know how many people will read this, but i could do with each and every one of your advices'.

Basically, even since i can remember i wanted to become an Airline Pilot... Its just my dream job, i get emotional even thinking about it. I have so much passion in it the only thing that prevents me from achieving this is money.

I cannot afford to fund this venture as it is VERY expensive. A fATPL (Frozen Airline Transport Pilots Licence) costs around £70,000 mark.

To give you an idea of my current situation, im a recent university graduate, majored in Economics and Finance, achieved a 2:1 and got myself a decent internship abroad and now currently working in a major investment bank as a London Metal Exchange Analyst. Oh and im 22...

Before you think i'm lucky, dont. Trust me, im not lucky i had to work hard, bend over backwards to get where i am now, and yeah i maybe able to do this but its not like i will be able to get what i want all the time, well 90% of the time i suppose (own exaggerated percentage, ...has no real representation...)

So going back to my main argument, my passion is to become an airline pilot, i need to know how i can achieve this.. Im proactive, how can i set up a fund in which people can contribute, or so on and so forth.... what can i do?

I dont know what more i can add.. thats all i guess.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe do a Travel and Tourism course at college? That would give you a start in that career field and a qualification.

Two years of saving with bonus at any moderate financial services job will get you your 70k.

But people must be finding other ways to get in.

Are they normally flying with the military first or what?

ReputationRep:
    Ever done any flying lessons before?

If it costs that much do airlines ever do some kind of scholarship or something? Can you get some kind of student loan type thing for the license which you pay off as you work etc.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Unfortunately, the world is awash with qualified airline pilots. There have been a few threads on here over the last few months and none of them are good. A PPL might be a good start for you if you've never flown before - and you'd better get saving if you want to train. Also, read the PPRUNE website - you'll get the real harsh truth from there.
    If you want to fly, learn to fly. If you want to be an airline pilot, you have a massive montain to climb just to get to the bottom of another one - sorry.

ReputationRep:
    OP, if you realy want to get into commercial aviation then you have a lot of research to do. I may sound harsh but it seems you have done very little (judging by the £70K figure you posted) and for someone who has wanted to get into it you should realy be getting stuck in. All the information is available online. As has been said, Pprune is a good start, but dont go posting anything unless you have researched very well, as using the search function will get you all the info you need.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.